Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Egyptian 1800's Coin | jewelry-imitation Ottoman

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2010  6:13 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This guy is buggin me. The date is either 1223 or 1233 but I'm leaning towards the 23. I can't find anything that matches this 100%. I originally had this pegged as a 5 Para from 1839-1944 but I don't know how I got that years ago.

Identified - moved to Exonumia forum - Sap

Learn More...
Australia
11144 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2010  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, there's sure a rash of these appearing on the forum lately. See here, here and this older thread here.

It's an imitation Ottoman coin. As I said in one of the earlier threads, the main giveaway is the regnal date at the top of the reverse: "Year 78". No Ottoman sultan reigned that long; the one that acceded in AH 1223 only lasted until 1255.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2010  7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, there's sure a rash of these appearing on the forum lately.

I haven't been paying any attention to the ID forum in the last few months. That's why you've been working overtime

That 78 was killin me cause I saw Nothing with it anywhere.

Thanks for the ID. The collector I bought this from had it in his collection with no ID for over 30 years.

Into the exonumia sell pile it goes......
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05