Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Overstrike 1964D Peace Dollar by Daniel Carr

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  1:31 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been considering my position on this for five days.

The only arguments against are based on the potential for abuse, and not the intent of the coiner or the legality of the coin. It's the same argument which could be used to justify banning alcohol, guns or steak knives. Or to not ban, since I believe very strongly that it should be my legal right to abuse myself within my own airspace.

I applaud DC's work. He has raised my already-considerable esteem for him with the stand he's making here. I want one of these coins, very badly.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I share your views about the man Prethen....except I see him as an engineer, an artist, a press operator and an entrepreneur instead of as a dealer (which I imagine 'is' yet another skill to be added to his repertoire), yeah, a very nice guy.

I will not get into either the moral or legal aspects of his methods, as it is complex and seems to meet the definition requirements of 'gray area', and I am not smart enough to even contemplate it all, nor would my opinion make any difference whatsoever anyway.

PM to DB.
Edited by zeewool
11/25/2010 2:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2812 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  2:41 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right...I don't think he really considers himself a dealer. But he does set up at shows like other dealers.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck: I have no problem believing that someone responsible for the
"strict supervisory and accounting procedures" took advantage of their position.

It has also been rumored that Denver Mint employees (at one point) may
have been able to buy a 1964-D Peace dollar and take it home.

Various rumors said up to six 1964-D Dollars left the Mint this way.

The gov't created Dan's loophole by saying that no '64-D Peace dollars currently exist.
If a genuine specimen turns up, even if it's immediately seized by the Treasury,
Carr's present legal argument goes right out the window.
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well said DNA.But that will never happen and even if it does what can they do after the deed is done and all the coins he made are out in the world :-/ . He just stops making them and starts something new Weeee!!
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think he really considers himself a dealer.

Maybe....I imagine that it all would depend on a person's definition of "dealer".

I think that those who buy only, consider themselves to be collectors, while

those who buy and sell could be considered either collector or dealer, while

someone who sells only might be referred to as a ?

(Could be one of those 'if the shoe fits' sorta things, but that is why I referred to him as 'entrepreneur').
United States
21011 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only arguments against are based on the potential for abuse, and not the intent of the coiner or the legality of the coin. It's the same argument which could be used to justify banning alcohol, guns or steak knives.
True, and laws never stop a determined criminal anyway.

The question is not should this coin be banned, but is it already banned by the current legislation. I suspect it is, others do not.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Jbuck) What would make you think this coin is banned or is going to be banned by the current legislation do you have some inside info we don't. And why wast there time with something as small as this what's the point. Do you think D.C would even start something like this with the kind of money he had to have just to start to have someone come back on him and say sorry Daniel you can't do this any more I don't think so he is smarter then that. And at this point I don't care because I have my coins and it would take a act of God to get them from me Maxwell41 ;-) (Quote) (In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash)
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  01:27 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question is not should this coin be banned, but is it already banned by the current legislation. I suspect it is, others do not.

I am one of the others, jbuck. If I could be made to believe that this coin is illegal under current legislation, not the pronunciation of a non-legislative official in reaction to this situation, I would immediately change my opinion to agree with yours. It would not change my opinion of Dan Carr - I think the man should be issued a wheelbarrow to carry something I won't talk about at CCF - but it would make all the difference concerning this specific subject.

I don't care if it's illegal now, or becomes so later. I want one.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2016 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  08:05 am  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I tend to agree with jbuck that under current legislation the coin appears to be illegal. In my mind saying it is only an altered coin created with no attempt to defraud is a very gray area......the same area as bleaching a dollar bill, reprinting it with the image of a $100 bill & justifying it by printing a series number that has never been used.

I also don't see the attraction. If you assume it's legal it's nothing more than a private mint issue, & as such it doesn't hold any attraction for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  12:40 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading every one's comments, as I have been for years, I'm confused. There were no 1964 dollars releases by the mint. No dollars were minted or released for circulation 1936 to 1970. I realize most Americans have no idea that they weren't, nor do they care. If he changes the mint mark to DC, as he does on the 2010 ASE, would this not be an obvious giveaway to collectors that it is indeed an enhanced copy; or at least signify it's a copy? Maybe he should change the mint mark to "MM".

Is it legal to own this copy of the coin? Is Mr. Carr's offering an artistic rendering of a piece of Americana or is it an attempt to defraud and call it money? I thought it was clear as a bell. Based on every one's comments, at this point I can't make the determination.

I see 6 oz troy coins that are identical to Morgans, Walkers, IHNs and ASEs. Except for the size, they are perfect copies. There is no intent to offer the coin as a circulating coin, it's obviously a large copy that would be neat to own because of the silver content; Just one big slug.

I'd have to agree with those members that said they would purchase one. It looks like a great coin and I also want one. I just want to be sure that no one will show up at my door looking for counterfeit coins.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4249 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought an MS68+ Carr 64D Peace dollar.

He wrote to me in reply and figures they will be sold out by the end of the year and I just hate kicking myself in the butt. If I like something, I better get it while and if I can. Merry Christmas to me!

Just makes me wonder how many 1971 No S Jefferson Nickels I have missed because I keep buying other things.
I will make a New Years resolution to get one in 2011.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have even more respect for Daniel Carr after talking to him on the phone for about 15 min' we talked about the 64 D and other thing coming up that will have the same hot topic going ''what could it be''? never know. I've got to say that he is the most down to earth person very nice guy. To all the people that think D.C made the 64D coin just for the money you were wrong. He wanted one just like everyone else did for years and it all worked out now we have something that never was so I say Thank You Very Much Daniel Carr your a stand up guy and good luck with everything you do Maxwell41. (i'll never tell)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2010  11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The re-strike is glaringly obvious near the rim, but that's actually a good thing.
(since it quickly identifies the coin as being Carr's fantasy piece).

Dan sells his own medals and tokens at coin shows (I've bought my share!),
but he also sells coins and bullion, so he's really a 'half-dealer'.

GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2010  2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that was a fun topic what's next anyone :-)
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05