Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Overstrike 1964D Peace Dollar by Daniel Carr

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Learn More...
United States
21581 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2010  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No inside information here.

I made my decision based on what (little) I know about the law and how it should be applied (in my opinion) to a coin that was minted but never issued (with all originals presumed destroyed).

The courts will ultimately be charged with determining whether or not these coins are legal; that is, if anyone ever makes a case of it.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you have time that would give you something to do. Like I said before you would have to take it from my cold dead hands I'll never give it up. I just think it's funny that so many people get so mad about this coin just wait to see what comes out next by D.C that should heat things up even more
Pillar of the Community
United States
2026 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  09:07 am  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not mad or heated about this coin. To me it's just a private issue medallion that may or may not be legal. What's funny to me is that people are willing to pay lots of money for what is essentially a silver bullion round.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sheesh are we still going on about this one.
Learn More...
United States
21581 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well if you have time that would give you something to do. Like I said before you would have to take it from my cold dead hands I'll never give it up.
I do not think you have anything to worry about.

The law (as I understand it) only concerns the sale of these coins, not the possession or even the manufacture (if they are made outside of the US jurisdiction like the Chinese fakes are).

If you will never give it up, I can assume you would never sell it, and therefore, would not have any legal issues.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maxwell41 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True 99% that i'll never sell just(1)but for the right price I would sell all of them. it's just like anything you buy. your buying it because you collect it or to make money on it there will be a time that the coin will be worth much more then I paid for it. to me it's just like when I got my Microsoft stock in 1989 I was 2 years out of high-school all my friends told me I was crazy for buying that stock it's not like I put 50 grand in it only 5 Grand but because of that Weeeee!!and very happy I did it. sometimes you have to go with your gut so I buy 25 of these D.C 64 D Peace dollars and I'll make money on them and you can take that to the Bank :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My supposedly MS68+ Peace dollar Overstrike arrived already today.
I would not be very good at grading the coin as I have no clue to grade the real ones but it looks awesome and is headed to an AirTite in a few minutes.
I paid pretty much for it but I wanted one and I think in the long run, I'll be OK.

Here it is.

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott hill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all boils down to personal knowledge,research if a novice collector wants to believe that's there God given right and fallacy as long as the coin in question doesn't break laws the cross to bear is on the consumer
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9663 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In any case, it's interesting to see the final product.
I suppose Carr isn't too secretive about it, so if the gov ever wants to go after him...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2010  3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this topic was discussed at length, but I decided after giving it much thought, to purchase one of the Daniel Carr Overstrikes. I received it today in the mail and I am really impressed with his overstruck Peace dollar. Unlike Chinese counterfeit coins, the workmanship is extremely well done.

As for the legality, IMHO I would not purchase it if I felt it was illegal. The real 1964 Peace dollar was never monetized and it never left the mint. So according to the mint, none exist.

That being said, I often wonder if a restruck pattern coin would be legal or illegal to own since it too was never monetized?
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2011  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AuNuggets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When it comes to the 1964-D Peace dollar, "The Fantasy" for many of us has been simply to own one of these coins. I remember being 7 years old and growing up in Southern California in 1964. A favorite uncle had started my interest in coin collecting at a relatively early age by bringing my brother and I his pocket change and the old Whitman blue coin folders on a regular basis. In 1964, another good friend of my moms knew of my interest in coins, and brought me a brand new shiny Kennedy half dollar very shortly after their release. Located as we were in the southwest, this one of course came from the Denver mint. To this day I remember very distinctly hearing about a "new silver dollar" that was planned for release sometime in the next year or two. Silver dollars were always "THE" coin to have in your collection at age 7, and like other kids my age who had heard the rumors of the new dollar coin......I wanted one.

But owning one of those dollars was never to become reality. Mintage was discontinued and all existing pieces supposedly destroyed by the mint prior to any ever being released to the public. While the Kennedy Half.....in all it's glory.....helped to fill that new coin emptiness for a time, I have still had thoughts of those new silver dollars through the years, as I'm sure other kids in the neighborhood "coin club" have from time to time. Unlike dreams of the 1804 or 1794 silver dollars, the 1913 Liberty nickel, the 1943 copper cent, or other famous rarities that actually exist in physical form, it seemed for an entire lifetime that the impossibility of ever holding a 1964-D Peace dollar in my hand would remain just that........an impossible dream.

Fast forward to the year 2010, and new rumors of the possible "minting" and release of a 1964-D Peace dollar began to echo through numismatic circles, this time with details that piqued my interest on and off over the months leading up to the announcement that Daniel Carr would "over-strike" genuine Peace dollars with a very accurate representation of what the genuine item probably looked like before being destroyed back in 1965. To add to the intrigue, Carr had obtained a surplus Denver Mint coining press which he restored to its original function, and planned to use it to strike the "new" coins. As time moved on, more rumors began to circulate that Carr was effectively challenging the status quo surrounding the Hobby Protection Act by claiming that his 1964-D Peace dollar creations did not fall under the necessity of a "copy" stamp, which to the purist who enjoys the Peace dollar design, made it all the more interesting. The controversy began to increase surrounding the issue, and in late 2010, the first coins were released......without the "copy" marking. These "fantasy overstrikes" as they have since become known, proved to be not only one of the most talked about issues in the hobby, but also the internet discussion forums, with literally thousands of postings in favor, in opposition, or in total indifference of the newly produced pieces.

Having been an avid coin collector most of my life, I have handled many tens of thousands of silver dollars, including a large percentage of Peace dollars, and through such experience have learned the characteristics of look, feel, luster, and the little idiosyncrasies that make a Peace dollar a Peace dollar. After first obtaining a couple of the Carr overstrikes, I can say without hesitation that his "re-creation" of the 1964-D Peace dollar is one of the most accurate renditions of the Peace dollar that I can imagine. While some of the variations of this issue are interesting from the standpoint of Dan's own production blog on the coins, including the matte proof and mirror proof-like, and earlier "subdued luster" multiple struck pieces, the "high-luster" and "high-grade" examples are single struck in a manner that, to my eye, represent what is probably the most accurate portrayal of what the regular mint-issue coins would have looked like. The accuracy in design and luster of these overstrikes is the closest I can imagine to holding one of the original coins in my hand.

Just think of the long list of other restrike and overstrike coins that are (now) accepted as mainstream numismatic items, controversial though they may have been at the time of their production or discovery........ 1827 quarters, 1851 dollars, 1852 dollars, confederate cents, Washington and Independence cents, 1823 cent, continental dollars, fugio restrikes, 1840-1842-1845-1848 half cents, numerous modern bullion coins, many pattern pieces, American Plantation tokens, Castorlands, CSA half dollars, 1804 cents, and others I surely missed. It would not surprise me to eventually see Dan's 1964-D Peace dollar accepted among the others, a coin not produced to deceive or defraud, but one to fill the desire of what otherwise "might have been".

For those lucky enough to have obtained one for our collection, or just to carry around as a pocket piece of "The Silver Dollar That Never Was", we understand the controversy, but ask only that those who have shown so much opposition give back a little understanding in return. We all collect what we like, or at least we should. That's what this hobby and so many others are about.......individual freedom to like what we like without having to apologize for not towing the mainstream line.

Thanks Dan....... for helping a long but never forgotten dream become a reality.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun, I opened this old can of worms.
I have not had the secret service bang down my door to date, and I still like my 1964 D overstrike.
No buyers remorse.

When I bought my Die Pair 5 1964-D" Peace Silver Dollar fantasy issue, Individually Handled, MS-68+
shown above I paid 160.00 + 5.00 S&H for a total of $165.00.
I opted to pass on the bulk handled grade version which cost 90.00 + 5.00 S&H

I checked on prices realized for my coin this evening and it appears these are selling with few unsold listings at levels averaging around $260.00
I also see that ANACS has graded Die pair #6 at MS69 as an overstruck token, which fetched $275.00 and the slab inside is autographed by Daniel Carr.
It would not have made much difference if I purchased the bulk handled version as it is presently selling for just slightly less than the MS68+ grade.

There are a couple of really low mintage 1975 IKE's on the site that are pretty tempting. Oh well. That's another can of worms.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:57 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a the 1964 D Franklin, a 70 silver Ike, and a 75 Ike. I like them. They were never made to begin with. And they look fantastic. I am happy I got them - especially the 1975 Ike b/c when I was young I thought I had seen one (just youth's wishful thinking) - so now I have one!
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a lot of D Carr's work and I am always impressed with the quality would I buy a 1964 Peace dollar from him. Probably not as It holds no place in my coin or token collection. I do however own several of his prototype dollars..
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I think it is interesting what Daniel Carr has done. He got an REAL die press from the mint, is taking REAL silver Peace dollars, restriking them with REAL (hand engraved?) dies, and selling them for REAL money.
I admit, $199 does seem like a lot for a reproduction coin. But if the foreign counterfeiters were to make 1964 Peace dollars, they would sell for a lot more than $199. Mr. Carr is up front about the coins being fake/copies/reproductions. No one is being scammed here.

Mr. Carr could be dishonest and make thousands selling these coins as genuine 1964 Peace dollars. But he doesn't. Because of that alone, I have complete respect for him.

-OddCoins... Don't flame me now.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05