Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My Dansco 7101 Flying Eagle/Indian Head Cent Album

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
DavidZerbato
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1046 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2010  9:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well, I decided to collect Flying Eagles and Indian Head cents. I feel it is manageable while still being challenging. I don't expect to finish it in a year or even 5, but will collect each coin as I come about them. I don't have a specific condition, but will include basically whatever I can afford at the time.

I've been collecting coins seriously for a short time, but have been collecting since I was very young. My grandpop would give me a coin or two when I would visit, various IHC, Morgans, Mercury dimes, nothing special, but that got me started. It wasn't until I recently saw my girlfriend's dad's collection that I've started to become more serious. I saw his completed 7010 (minus the 1869/69 as his album is older and doesn't have that slot) and that gave me inspiration to complete one of my own. I'm collecting both slabbed and raw coins. I plan on buying slabbed key dates, 1869/69, 1877, 1908-s, 1909-s etc, so I've already cracked a few slabs and taped the insert to the back of my album.

So far I have the following:
1857 FE PCGS XF-45
1858 L.L. F-15 (may look for a replacement with a little higher grade)
1858 S.L. NGC XF-40

1859 XF-40
1860 AU-58 (I believe it has an old cleaning, but I got a great deal on it)
1864/1864L S-4 NGC AU Details (I was really mad as it got the details for environmental damage, which consists of a few light black streaks. I may try to get it conserved, but don't know yet)
1867 PCGS VF-30
1883 VF-30
1884-VF30
1886 Var. II G-6 (This is just a place holder for now)
1888 VF-35
1889/9 MPD S-3 NGC Unc. Details Altered Color (but it has great color, one of my favorites, Rick Snow graded it MS-63
1896/6 S-6 MS-63
1902 MS-63
1904 VG-8 (place holder)
1905 VG-08 (place holder)

Well, I'll add to this thread as I add to my album, and now for some pics.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2010  9:47 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these, I have most of them -- but I have a sad face (my daughter drew) in 1877!
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2010  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins!
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2010  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears that you are off to a great start.

Keep us posted as your collection grows.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cperry8483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have an outstanding start to that collection! My set of choice is also IHCs (although I dabble in other types as well) although none of mine are as nice as those. I largely rely on the $1 bins so my condition goal is G4 or (maybe) better. Still fun though! IHCs are a great type to collect because it seems like they're everywhere and there aren't any huge stumbling blocks as far as key dates go like there is with SLQs (1916), Mercury dimes (1916 D), or other types where there is a single key date that costs more than the entire rest of the collection combined. Good luck with your collection David and make sure you share any new acquisitions with us!
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thecoinczar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a very nice collection so far. You are off to a great start, unlike me. I have been collecting coins since 2007, but did not begin any albums until the past several months! I feel that the albums are fun and it keeps your coins safe and organized. I have the Indian Head cents, Lincoln cents, Liberty Head nickels, Buffalo nickels, Kennedy half dollars (I haven't begun this one yet) and of course the State quarters, National parks quarters, and finally the Presidential dollars set. Have you had any trouble fitting your coins into the holes in the albums. I don't experience any problems with some, but a few are really tough to get into the slots and it is so aggravating!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's put it this way, I have a lot more dates than you but will gladly trade my set for yours

Seriously now, super nice start to a great collection.
Love the IHC's but mine are also mostly the G4 variety. Already starting the upgrades cause I can't afford the G4 of the one's I need

One of these days I'll start a set the right way like you are.
Congrats!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1046 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you had any trouble fitting your coins into the holes in the albums. I don't experience any problems with some, but a few are really tough to get into the slots and it is so aggravating!

I did have some trouble with the Copper/Nickel IHCs as they seemed to be slightly larger than the copper ones. This may seem harsh to some, but I ended up using a rolled up cloth to cover the coin, then I used my finger or something harder to press the coin into place.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  10:11 am  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double Congrats today! Great collection David; I'll start one as soon as I finish my second Morgan collection.

....and

With his post, Upstate is now a pillar!
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2477 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  10:44 am  Show Profile Check fenton's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on post #500, Upstate! I enjoy reading your contributions.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrh70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
excellent start. for their age the quality is amazing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2010  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish mine were looking that good.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1046 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2010  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just purchased a new IHC for my album, it's a 1869/9 Snow 3. I purchased it from eBay, don't have it yet though. I've been looking for this coin for a while now and believe I've found a nice example. I'll post it to the grading section too as I want opinions as to grade and whether you guys think there are any issues with it. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...t_576wt_1141
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2010  04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thank you very much gentlemen.
Honored to be here!
Oh and by the way Davidzerbato since seeing your collection I've upgraded
and /or added a half dozen or so G4's to full liberty's.
You guys are a bad influence ;)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1657 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2010  05:59 am  Show Profile Check cwb8539's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are certainly off to a good start. You've already got some very nice coins in there. I really have a love affair with IHC's!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2056 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2010  08:10 am  Show Profile Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection - nice mix of high grades and Snow varieties. The '67 is impressive - it's tough to find that era ('66 through '75) in F to VF problem-free grades. Good job and keep 'em coming.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05