Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weapons on bank notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
South Africa
6 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2010  2:54 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bruce135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It seems to me to be an unusual theme for a bank note. Usually governments depict constructive themes on their notes.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2010  4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it is a type of propaganda used by the regime of the time similar to the depictions on ancient Roman coinage. The 1970's in Angola and neighboring countries was a time of very unstable governments and tyranny ran rampant throughout that part of Africa more so than today. But that is just my thoughts on the matter
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1395 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2010  01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more weapons.
One from Cuba and a couple from Laos.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
8893 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2010  04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banknotes were to used AS weapons by the Nazis in Operation Bernhard during WW2.

They forged white five pound notes, which they presumably intended to air drop over the British Isles.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3235 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2010  09:47 am  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel: That's a frightening weapon indeed.

Look at Mozambique's flag. It has an automatic rifle on it. I'm not surprised Cuba's banknote (from above) is depicted the way it is. I particularly like those Thai notes.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Valued Member
Japan
71 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2011  07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goodwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm... "weapons on banknotes"...

aren't there arrows on US dollars)?
Edited by goodwin
04/16/2011 07:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8893 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2011  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have all heard of an 'air guitar'

That guy on the reverse of the 20 kwanzas looks like he is firing an
'air Vickers machine gun'!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2819 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2011  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the current Australian $100 has a lot of artillery, as the principal figure on one side of the note was a WW1 General in France: Sir John MONASH.
http://www.rba.gov.au/banknotes/typ...-monash.html

Peter

Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ashb123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mozambique has a 50(i think, and cant remember the currency =s) note, on the back it has villagers with spears and a soldier training them, a second picture of them walking with uniform/guns, and a third where it looks like they're now trained soldiers. On the reverse is soldiers in regiments with tanks and tanks with huge rockets on the left and the right and middle. It also features the countries flag I believe, which is a scythe and an AK-47 crossed together in a sort of hammer/sickle style. I also remember North korea having similar soldier notes, and one with a statue with guns. An indian friend once told me some iraqi money had guns/soldiers on it but not sure how true that is.
Valued Member
Canada
417 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chased down a pic of your Mozambique note, pretty cool.

Here's a couple of mine, Paraguay and Brazil( a favorite )

Valued Member
Canada
417 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another I got at the last coin show : North Korea 10 Won.

[

Valued Member
Australia
171 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2012  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This notgeld series from Suhl, Germany has guns on it. Apparently this towns main industry was gun smithing.

Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorites are this series from Cambodia:

These guys look like Boy Scouts in a staged photo

Nothing says sexy like a woman with an RPG.

Did someone mention a Vickers?

Downing a jet with small arms fire is a pretty good trick.

Valued Member
Canada
417 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like those Cambodian notes, have to look into geting them.
Valued Member
Germany
391 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2013  09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hajduk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
here are some more Notes with Weapons.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05