Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This is one reason why I don't buy slabbed coins.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  4:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

If they can't even get the coin right, how can one expect the grading to be right? Grading, in my opinion, is a matter of opinion. TPG just overinflate the cost of the coin. If I had my choice to buy the same coin, either slabbed or not, I would choose not.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I seen someone on EPray last week wanting a gazillion dollars because of an "error label" - nothing to do with the coin.

Maybe you should sell it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What gets me is when people buy a slabbed coin that has a error on the edge, and you can't even see the edge!
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gazillion!I have a 1880-0 Morgan that is in a PCGS slab that has it as a 1880-S I'd sell it for half a gazillion!
Learn More...
United States
14156 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  5:41 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I rejoined the PCGS CC, they sent me a 2004 ASE in a 2001 slab! I still have it. I can't wait to see an 1805 Half Dime in a label that says 1908 $20! At that point, it's bye-bye PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I seen someone on EPray last week wanting a gazillion dollars because of an "error label" - nothing to do with the coin

That's what this is. They are wanting $500 or best offer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What gets me is when people buy a slabbed coin that has a error on the edge, and you can't even see the edge!

The edge error is what got me to look on eBay. I have a Jefferson presidential dollar, that I found roll searching, that is lacking the edge lettering entirely.

Edited by KenRingold
02/02/2011 6:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  6:29 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool getting your cat to hold the coin while you takes pics !

But yes, I agree on TPG's...it's all about the money...get em in and get em out
Lincolncentresource.net
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol, cat
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ayejay1974 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sure that coin is lacking lettering? Looks as though it is smooth from wear.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5836 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  7:43 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Grading in my opinion, is a matter of opinion.

I have been saying this all along, what is the difference if I grade a coin MS-60 and you grade the same coin AU-58, you just see it different than I do..

And, it's a lot cheaper.
True North
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You sure that coin is lacking lettering? Looks as though it is smooth from wear.

That would take considerable wear for that to happen. I found this in 2009 and I don't think it could have been worn that bad in that amount of time. Especially seen as how the rest of the coin looks good. It also fits too snug in an airtight to be wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2011  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. wonder how that one turned out? I'm sure there is someone out there with more money than brains. Anyone think it's wrong to cash in on ignorance? I don't think it is. In my opinion, if there's a buyer, sell it and walk.

I do however think it is wrong to falsely advertise an item. (deliberately being deceptive)

I didn't see the eBay page for this one, how did he describe it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fatboy,
SOLD!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  06:13 am  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you Jaymon....you cannot force people to spend their money wisely any more than you can force them to sell grandpa's collection to the best buyer.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't see the eBay page for this one, how did he describe it?

This is a PCGS Error. The coin is perfect.

2007-S Proof $1 Thomas Jefferson Presidential Dollar labelled incorrectly by PCGS as a James Madison Coin.

PCGS PR70 D CAM
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05