Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What exactly is the Snow-1 1888/7 Indian Head cent?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
DVCollector
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  2:25 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Is it an actual coin--or simply a state of mind?

Judging from auctions on eBay, one might think staring cross-eyed at any random 1888 creates the overdate.

Here's just one such auction, where I asked the seller to point out the 1888/7 on the coin.

Genius!

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16617 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  2:52 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is this I don't even

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3336 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  5:00 pm  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing-what does he see I wonder?

"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You only see what you want to see
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2011  6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eg, exactly. It's all about our imagination.
I "see" a $20 gold piece in the bottom of my coffee cup--want to buy it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the same page as DVCollector. Kind of. What exactly is the 1888/7 I found this one on Heritage Auctions, but I dont see a 7 anywhere. how is it exactly that you can tell you have a 1888/7

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...o=1572#Photo
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8672 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like how his "dot on the paper" is halfway inbetween the 8 and the A of AMERICA.

That little lump at the bottom left quadrant of the final 8 is supposed to be the bottom of the 7. It does match up if you do an overlay of the 1887 logotype on the 1888 logotype. I don't know if any other traces of the 7 are visible on any of the known MS pieces. Since the "overdate" is so hard to see, the variety is usually identified by die markers, typically the rim cud over the E in UNITED.
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always checked for the rim cud, because it's easy to be fooled by dirt in the 8.
There is a small cent overdate that is even subtler than the 1888/7, the 1858/7:

It must have taken considerable study to first identify that as an 8/7.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone new came along and posted that, we'd tell them it was a figment of their imagination.
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scoob, exactly! They must have studied numerous examples and die states to make that conclusion. The overdates I post are easy by comparison.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add greghansen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05