Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Ancient, Greek, and Roman Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Caligula Denarius

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bing
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2011  11:53 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

OK, I know I'm new and have been busy posting on this site; however, I have a question for all the Roman coin collectors. I have been in the market for a Caligula Denarius for some time, but have not found any. Are there any out there and are they very expensive? I have two AR Drachm from Caesaria, Cappadocia. They are nice, but do not fit with the denarius of the other 12 caesars. I have uploaded an image of one of the two coins. The other is almost identical. I would very much like to find a Denarius though.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1961 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2011  12:57 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI,

There certainly are Caligula issued denarii - I'm sure you already know about Wildwinds... http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/caligula/i.html

And yes - they are expensive. To get a decent one you will have to dig deep.

There's one (a fouree one) at the current cgb.fr sale estimated at €2,500 - though to be honest cgb.fr tend to be pricy

CNG have one for sale

http://www.cngcoins.com/Search.aspx..._TYPE_ID_3=1

a snip at $13,500.
Edited by Bacchus2
06/28/2011 1:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1372 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I believe the coin you illustrate to be a modern cast fake.
Here is a matching example from a fakes database.

Regards,
Martin
Formerly jwharper
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
4253 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you are not correct. I have two of these coins, similar but different. Here is the other coin. Both have tested to be 80-100% silver and each weigh 3 and 3.34 grams respectively.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1372 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That second one is a match to the fake I illustrated right down to the flan shape. That is certainly a cast fake I am afraid. The first example comes from the same dies and I think is another cast fake that has some work done on it to mask the nature of the flan.
Regards,
Martin
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I think. Now I feel like a fool.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jw

Don't feel bad. I wouldn't have known from your first photo if the coin was real or not. I'm just a beginner. But now I know a little more about how to spot a fake, thanks to your post.

It's better that the people with the knowledge tell it like it is (as painful as it might be) rather that letting us go about in ignorance.IMO
United States
13214 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  10:28 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The countfeiters are very skillful and even fool the experts sometimes. You now have a reference piece to take along with you when you are shopping to compare with.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2011  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem I now face is how many of my "collection of fine Roamn coins" are fake. Some of these coins I have collected over a long period of time (decades). Without breaking the bank, is there a way to verify the rest of my collection? Thanks for all the input
United States
13214 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  12:22 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it's not unheard of late Roman bronzes have no modern fakes. Early Roman bronzes along with silver and gold coins are faked often, so you should buy from well know dealers that have a return policy. http://www.forumancientcoins.com has an excellent section that lists lots of fakes.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2777 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2011  10:20 pm  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The problem I now face is how many of my "collection of fine Roman coins" are fake

jw - hopefully the fact that you yourself had questions about the coins in your three posts means that without knowing it you policed your own collection.

Hope that makes sense! Hopefully the ones you don't have queries on are all OK. Best way to find out is to post a sample.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2011  12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all. I have learned from this experience. I plan to post some additional coins in the near future.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe Geranio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to by a Caligula Denarius, make sure it is from a reputable dealer, not an adver., but I like dealing with CNG and dealers I know and trust, I may pay more, but you can trust a good dealer, I got my first Caligula denarius in 1989 for 800 dollars, if your patient, you can find an acceptable one for 2k-3,500.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05