Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Strange 1942P dime looks like 4/2 Insite needed

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
TheRenoGoldExchange
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2011  9:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheRenoGoldExchange to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2011  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schockergd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2011  11:03 pm  Show Profile Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be PMD. I have a few LWC with the same type of damage. The date gets hit by another coin or something that breaks the number and moves it out of the original position. The strongest is a 1941 with the last 1 touching the bottom of the 4. I thought I had an error that had never been seen before, but the dealer said it was just common damage.

Anyone else see damage like this or is this a new variety coin?
Error and Variety Collector.
My eBay sales as NoFearOfChange
http://www.ebay.com/sch/nofearofcha...sop=1&_rdc=1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2011  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My PMD sense is tingling.

Not sure though.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sicinvesting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The piece that is alongside the center of the 2 looks longer than that of the 2, plus there is no curve toward the end. Know anyone with a good 50X to 100X scope....should be able to tell then.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheRenoGoldExchange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea I agree the center of the 2 is longer and straighter than normal that's why I'm not sure its a PMD. It almost looks like a partial 4 or in inveted 7. I'm puzzled! anyone see this before? I will show it to my buddy Boe when he makes it down to Reno he's an expert in errors. I'm just exited when I see something I haven't seen before.
Edited by TheRenoGoldExchange
07/09/2011 6:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  6:57 pm  Show Profile Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it's just damage to the 2. The bottom of the line is thinner than the rest of the number as if it's a pivot point. If you could move the line back over to the original position, I think it would all match up. Whatever did the damage could have changed the shape so it's not curved at the top also.

I LOVE error and variety coins. I've been collecting them for 40 years and I always love to see something new. I really, really hope this is a new variety, but I don't think it so. I've seen lots of coins with splits and movement in the date and they always make my heart race, but in the end they've all turned out to be PMD.

Let me know if you find out otherwise. If it's a NEW 1942 Mercury variety, no one would be happier that me... except for you of course.
Error and Variety Collector.
My eBay sales as NoFearOfChange
http://www.ebay.com/sch/nofearofcha...sop=1&_rdc=1
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
6515 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need arsave to check this out!! It's new one for me!

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  3:42 pm  Show Profile Check arsave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off thanks to a couple members for asking me to take a look!

Now the bad news... I am thinking post mint damage, or die chips. There is the possibility someone was trying to make their very own 1942/41, and did not succeed. A die chip is a very likely possibility, too. There seems to be some chip in front of the date which is why I am thinking it could be die chips.

If this was a variety with the amount of raised area it would have been discovered and verified long ago because it is so noticeable. The 1942/1 was discovered right away after mintage and the 42/1-D wasn't found until the late 50's or early 60's.
President Racine Numismatic Society
www.arsave.com
Edited by arsave
07/16/2011 3:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2531 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  10:46 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm!
This was also posted on the modern error forum also.

Hi Tony,
That's what I though also from the other forum.

Edit: And congratulation on completing your Mercury dime set, I saw that a while back.
Number 1 position in PCGS.
Edited by macmercury
07/16/2011 11:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Check arsave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tak!

Some of those Mercury dime varieties are tough, as you know. Now, I need to find some upgrades.

Tony
President Racine Numismatic Society
www.arsave.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
9881 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2011  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will show it to my buddy Boe when he makes it down to Reno he's an expert in errors.
Ask him to join CCF, we like those experts.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2011  11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a die crack.
TreasHunt
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10900 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2011  11:51 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sheared metal from damage to the date
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2531 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2011  6:24 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bio,

You just hit it on the jackpot!
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  6:13 pm  Show Profile Check asimpson91's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add asimpson91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1942 over drunk 1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05