Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Edward I penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
129 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2011  09:03 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Could anyone help identify this. Many thanks :)
Diameter approx 19mm

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2011  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an Edward I penny (also called a sterling) made out of silver, its weight is 1.42g and was made from 1272-1307 AD but there is something wrong with because on the back the cross ,12 dots ,the inner circle and writing are supposed to be sticking outward not inward.Here is a photo:

A coin of this quality is around 150 $ though the back error may either be a mintage error or signs of reproduction. Mintage error could augment the price, reproduction could lower it.
Learn More...
Australia
11235 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2011  11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dots are raised, not lowered - that's just an optical illusion, caused by light from the scanner coming from the opposite direction. Just like the apparent doubling is no doubt also caused by the scanner.

I always find classifying the numerous varieties of Edward I pennies tricky. The one 10xloupe linked to is a different variety, because on there the letter "N" is always backwards. I looked this one up last night but had trouble pinning it down to a specific class.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2011  03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for looking into this.
Tricky is the right word! And yes the scanner is to blame :(

This is what I can make out.

EDW? ANGL DNS HYB
CIVITAS LONDON

Trifoliate Crown - I think.

Which points to Edward I.
But which class?

Double Chin! And V shaped drapery

Hopefully this piccy will help

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2011  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swish513 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the obverse legend reads edw r' angl dns hyb.

i think yours is class 3g.
Valued Member
France
129 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2011  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Swish.
I shall consult my manual.........
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8873 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2011  01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why it is with English hammered pennies of this period. About 10% of the pictures I see of these coins I perceive them incuse, not relief. The easiest way I have of curing this problem is to turn the picture upside down, hard to do with a computer screen!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05