Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

I need some help identifiying a coin

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
KeysLuver
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2011  12:21 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KeysLuver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I need some help please....I have had this coin for years and all I know is that it is a Civil War Token. I have tried to find some info on it like exactly what it is and the value of it. (the pictures are not the best) Can someone help me out...I am clueless.
*first side reads "City Fruit Store, No 4 Weybosset St Prov.RI, redeemed by Phillips"
*second side "Rhode Island First In The Fields 1864" there is the bust of General Ambrose Burnside in the center (the only info I was able to find)
*the color is a little goofy in the pictures, the coin is the color of the second side

Thank you

Pillar Of The Community
United States
10590 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2011  12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is a link and you may want to contact them for help with your token http://tokencatalog.com/index.php
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TokenDave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Civil War Store Card RI 700G-2a. "700" designates Providence, "G" designates City Fruit Store, "2" designates the reverse image to be die 1159, "a" designates copper. Rarity level is R2 (2000-5000 in existence).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not known who the die sinker was that issued this and other, similar tokens. He's believed to have been located in the Providence area. He's referred to by CWT collectors as "the Rhode Island Sinker." His die work was crude or primitive, and he's one of only a few die sinkers to use lower case letters. This all adds to the appeal of his tokens, I believe. With regard to the rarity, this longtime collector of CWT's suspects that the population is likely closer to the 5,000 mark and maybe exceeds that. By coin collecting standards, that's a rare token!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KeysLuver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so very much for the info I have been lost as to exactly what it was...I cant seem to find any info on one like this...just one with 13 stars and the "first in the fields" motto on the other side but none with the General on them. Does anyone know the estimated value of this coin?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some numbers, as well I'm sure Exo and others do. I'll check when I get back to my desk. It is a very nice specimen you have, btw.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My estimate for this token would be around $20, given a what appears to me to be a VF-20 grade. Many common Civil War tokens sell for less, but the General's image probably would fetch a bit more than average. Someone who has a strong interest in Burnside might be motivated to pay more than the going rate. There's a rare patriotic token with his image. Someone who is putting together a set of die varieties used on patriotics might well want this far more attainable and affordable storecard, too. To my experience, this issue tended to be well circulated. An uncirculated specimen would likely bring $100 on up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to say VF-20 too.

Kanzinger's 2002 guide lists RI700G-2a VF @ $20.
Rulau 4th Edition (2004) lists RI700G-2a VF @ $35.

I've seen a few sell recently on eBay for higher. Burnside is a popular variety as Exo says. I'd say somewhere around $60 -- though could be lower or higher. (Some sellers on eBay fetch higher prices for their coins, and I don't remember who the sellers were for the recent sales.)
Edited by CheetahCats
08/25/2011 12:30 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KeysLuver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so very much...my kids have become quite interested in the history associated with the token. Both of my boys have decided that they want to keep it and begin their own collections (they are fighting over who gets to call this token their first one...lol). I am excited that they are so interested about the history so we are off to the library, once again thank you all so much for your help!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the Civil War Token Society's website:

http://cwtsociety.com/

The dues are nominal. You'll receive quarterly journals, containing articles, ads and auction listings. Experience tells me that you'll find more CWT bargains therein than you'll find on eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur. Great suggestion Exo
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05