Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 One Hundred Dollar Bill value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2009  11:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pikachews to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just received payment with this one hundred dollar bill which is from 1934. It seems to be old enough to be worth more than its face value. I've looked on google, but they all say they need to see the actual bill in order to determine its value. So, I come here to ask you guys what you think. Thanks for any help you can do.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2009  01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be honest with you upfront. Paper is not my specialty. $100.00 is alot of money. I personally couldn't afford to hang on to that bill. If it were in better shape....I would. The pencil mark and the ragged bottom of the bill I believe will prevent you from getting much over face value for that bill. But do wait for others to chime in.
FYI. The dates on paper money don't change every year like on coins. Yours is a "series of 1934A". They start out with a date, 1934. If they change a signature on the bottom of the bill, it becomes 1934A, then B etc. until they decide to change the date. There were 5 series dated 1934. 1934,1934A,1934B,1934C,1934D. The next series is dated 1950.
Yours was probably printed much closer to 1934 than 1950. There is probably information available somewhere as to what months and years each series was printed...I just don't have it in front of me at the present. Oh to the forum!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11050 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2009  07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. In fine to extra fine condition it's worth $100-$140.
Your bill looks too worn to be worth more than face but you could take it to a coin shop near you and see if they will buy it from you at a premium. http://www.uscurrencyauctions.com/$100notes.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2009  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pikachews to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks for the information guys, but how can you tell if a bill/coin was circulated or not?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11120 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2009  1:23 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin is circulated, it will be worn. If a note is circulated, it will be dirty, folded, torn, and wrinkled. That note is common enough that I doubt any dealer would want to buy it, not enough profit for them. You might be able to put it on eBay but you would make very little after eBay and PayPal fees(if you even turned a profit at all). The majority of the 1934A notes are quite common, I have had dealers at coin shows give me $5 and $10 1934A notes as change.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
2531 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2009  5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck Pikachews, I picked up 7 of those from one of my banks a few months ago. Took them to two coin shows trying too sell them. No luck They were in great shape, no folds, no tears, nothing, they just looked like old money. I did keep one and managed to sell the rest after a while. Sold one to my auto repair man for $120.00 and a few waffled state quarters and blank planchets. The other 5 went to a pawn shop for $115-$120 each, price depending on whether it was an A,B,C etc, etc.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05