Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 DC & Territorial Quarters...Worth Big Bucks or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  7:54 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add replytodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey Guys,

I was just looking at the Red Book and noticed that the 2009 DC & Territorial Quarters were produced seperately from the 1999-2008 quarters.

Many people package them along with the state quarters like they are worth dirt.

Will they become big bucks some day?

DH

Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a small premium for uncirculated ones
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add replytodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that series will be one of the most expensive to own in 20-40 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kept P&D rolls of them, just in case. They had much smaller mintages than statehood quarters, and the ATB quarters seem pretty low too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  8:58 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ATB mintages are really low. As I recall, there are more Rhode Island quarters than all the 2010 and 2011 ATB's combined!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add replytodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good afcop13,

I'm specualting that this will be a sleeper and it will take a few years for the community to wake up.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
758 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, except there are lots of people speculating, and when this happens, it is never a sleeper. It's more of a dozer, as soon as people think they are worth something the market gets flooded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I "covered my bases" with the 2009 Territories.
Got the Uncirc's.
Got the Proofs.
Got the Silver Proofs.
Got a B.U. U.S. Mint bag of 100 D.C. quarters.
And I had saved back some BU rolls of each one, but have since just cashed them these rolls in.

Despite the low mintages of these and the ATB's....I just don't think it will translate into a "must have" series or even a future "sleeper".
I doubt that enough years will go by, (in my lifetime) to see any premiums worthwhile on any of these.
But, as a collector, I have to have them to continue with my albums, so in that sense they ARE "Must Have" already for me ! ......
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JSH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am keeping all the territories and ATB coins I find in circulation. I cant see buying rolls or uncirculated sets at a premium. I may pick up some extra silver proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There does seem to be serious demand for state quarter errors and varieties, selling above what I would expect of similar errors and varieties in other series. Also, the 1999 silver proof set goes for way above other years. It is relatively lower mintage, but I think a major reason for the price compared to e.g. 1998 is the low mintage combined with the fact that it's the first year for state quarters.

2009 is a lower mintage year for all denominations, but I think the territories got saved by everybody and their grandmother the way the states did, so I don't see them ever becoming scarce.

I personally have been avoiding state and territory quarters like they were new Star Wars movies, but everybody else seems to have rolls and rolls stowed away.
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
02/06/2012 4:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it's true that there were much fewer DC/Territorial quarters minted in 2009 than the last few years of state quarters, "fewer" is a relative term - there were still many many millions of 2009 quarters minted. There will probably be a slight premium someday, but nothing to get excited about. My local coin shop has them for just over face value.
Learn More...
United States
21409 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like them and have one of each in my collection. Future value? Not my concern.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add regularguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that they will ever be big bucks, but I do think that they will carry a premium over the State Quarters that ended in 2008. Mostly only because of the lower mintage of the Territorial quarters.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3187 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  9:59 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big bucks? No. And Krause was onto this by the time their 2010 North American edition came out with an article detailing such low mintage.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05