Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Begins Production of 2012 Presidential Dollars

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be interesting to see the two separate and non-consecutive mintage figures for the Grover Cleveland dollars when we get to him...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8888 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can banks still order them in or do you have to get them directly from the mint now?

They can order coins from the Fed but the will only get pre 2012 coins and they may be solid, or mixed, uncs. or circs. They can NOT order 2012 coins from the Fed. Those you will have to buy directly from the Mint.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cdwest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still ask my local banks and what I have been hearing is that the Treasury Department has asked the banks to not order anymore. As far as the US Mint, their website says the Arthurs will be released at TBD date.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still really undecided about whether I should buy the rolls or not. It seems like I hear a 50/50 reaction on the subject. I have an up to date proof set in a Dansco because I get them in the proof sets every year. Figured I'd put them in a book. Just not sure if I should go P/D or not. I might wait to see what happens with the next release.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, so we are talking about coins that won't get used in the first place. Then, people pulling them out because Wow they are so rare. Would love to see a low-ball set of these presidential coins in 20 years.

Yes, jbuck
Edited by Drsandman2
03/10/2012 12:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got 2 rolls of mixed dollar coins from the bank today (to spend of course). My bank still has plenty to give out, but I worry about the day when they no longer will have them. That bothers me. Most non-collectors I have spoken with say they like the dollar coins. I think they would be more accepted than our elected officials think.

I will probably get a roll of each 2012 dollar just because they are NIFC. Arrrr!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8888 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, only 1.6 million coins minted for both mints. Those will be rare like Kennedy halves.

Yep, but I haven't noticed the Kennedy halves as being particularly scarce. Even the 2001 to date pieces.

Quote:
I still ask my local banks and what I have been hearing is that the Treasury Department has asked the banks to not order anymore.

I would find that a bit surprising as the Treasury has always WANTED to get them into circulation and out of storage. I think your bank has misinterpreted the Fed instruction that the banks can't order any new President dollars to mean that they can't order ANY president dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really think that there is quite a difference between mintage and circulation. Mintage may be down but lagging indicator of acceptance is circulation. I look at the mintage figures for the ATB quarters and wonder why I don't see them showing up in my pocket change at all, even given that they have been in circulation for over 2 years now. To me they are just hear say even though I have examples in my albums. Who's the blame or cause for the dilemna the banks, the mint, or our neighbors.

As was mentioned previously in this thread, we have minted more presidential coins than we have ever minted Morgan or Peace dollars, and according to preception they we not accepted either. Could this be a poor business decision of either the mint or congress?
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think your bank has misinterpreted the Fed instruction that the banks can't order any new President dollars to mean that they can't order ANY president dollars.
I agree. Laziness looking for an excuse.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ill still buy them anyhow as I've gotten every single one so far
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good reason to buy a mint set or two.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
733 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the first four only the Lincoln is in my collection. I had a feeling they'd be as 'exciting' as the state quarters, so I never planned to collect the set. I might add FDR, Ike, and JFK - but by then the mint will only be making them to order for collectors.
Secret Santa '12 & '13
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have them in proof, but have not put them in an album yet. I do not buy mint sets and most of the ones I have gotten in circulation look pretty rough. Since I cannot see the mint mark in an Album, I will probably do a date only set with the proofs.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason there are 1999 SBA coins is because the 800 million already made weren't enuf for commerce.
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1999 every post office in my area used them in the stamp machines. This was how I got my 1999 business strikes.

Sadly, all of the post office stamp machines use electronic payment now. No more easy dollar coin finds.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05