Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess the grade -- 1916 barber dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:37 pm Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just wondering what people think this one grades. It is currently in a PCGS holder.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2128 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  9:24 pm  Show Profile Check nlp coins's eBay Listings Check nlp coins's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one beauty there. Super crisp details. MS65 at least is my guess. nlp
Save the best, sell the rest
http://nlpcoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sharp details and good rims. I dont see too many marks in the fields. I would guess its considered as nice as it was the day it was made. MS63 is my guess
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5003 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:53 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 I too think there are just a bit too many marks to go higher, but I sure like the color on this dime.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with 63, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first saw these photos yesterday I was at a loss.
As I do not collect coins in MS and above but rather in high grade circulated examples, I have little experience in MS.
But what I DO have is experience in Barber dimes.
So let me write down what I saw and what I thought.
First, "What an outstanding strike!"
The bow at the 6 o'clock position on the reverse: the right loop is often much worse struck than the left loop. New Orleans are the worst offenders and San Francisco produced the best examples.
On to the obverse: "There IS an eye ball!" I never noticed that before, or a least one which shows so prominently. The "LIBERTY" is about as sharp as is possible.
The detail: the more that I looked the more that I saw which I had never seen before.
----
But the question remains: "How do you grade it?"
Well, let's count the "dings:"
1) On the neck, along a line from the lower eye lid to the two flowing ribbons on the left side, there is a contact mark. Made by the edge of one dime hitting this one. If you have to have one of these, it is in an inconspicuous place.
2,3,4,5 --- a few more. I want to post this and I am getting impatient. And those are all on the obverse.
But none are distracting.
MS-63!
Just a guess.
Matthew

Oh WAIT! I turned to my copy of "The Complete Guide to Barber dimes" by David Lawrence and noted the following:

[Re:1916 Philadelphia]

"Strike is often disappointing, luster variable."

Well, that cinched it for me!
No matter what the "numerical" grade, this coin would appeal to any true collector of the series.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Edited by matthewvincent
02/27/2012 4:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5125 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with MS-64. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4144 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
"A poor Roman plays the Goth, a rich Goth the Roman." - Theodoric, King of the Ostrogoths

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 224, Byzantine: 21, Post-Roman Germanic: 17

Affordable ancient coins on sale! Now reduced!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with MS-64. Although there are a few imperfections I don't think they are serious enough to knock the grade any lower. Beautiful coin, love the toning.
Valued Member
344 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris beatie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was so beautiful I hardly noticed the 2 nicks on the cheek.

MS 64. or strong ms63
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kazuma78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id say its a 64
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  1:38 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It resides in a PCGS holder, graded MS62. I believe it is one point, possibly two points undergraded by today's standards. Nonetheless, it will remain in that holder and a part of my type-set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5982 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She's a looker!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have been a 'net graded slider'. I'm seeing that with a lot of 'clean' low MS coins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05