Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess the grade -- 1916 barber dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:37 pm Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just wondering what people think this one grades. It is currently in a PCGS holder.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  9:24 pm  Show Profile Check nlp coins's eBay Listings Check nlp coins's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one beauty there. Super crisp details. MS65 at least is my guess. nlp
Save the best, sell the rest
http://nlpcoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2151 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sharp details and good rims. I dont see too many marks in the fields. I would guess its considered as nice as it was the day it was made. MS63 is my guess
I collect real coins and bitcoins: 1JCXTbnwXdQz1q5HMYfSDeVRJwjgzB98oS
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5333 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:53 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 I too think there are just a bit too many marks to go higher, but I sure like the color on this dime.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with 63, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
Pillar of the Community
United States
2877 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first saw these photos yesterday I was at a loss.
As I do not collect coins in MS and above but rather in high grade circulated examples, I have little experience in MS.
But what I DO have is experience in Barber dimes.
So let me write down what I saw and what I thought.
First, "What an outstanding strike!"
The bow at the 6 o'clock position on the reverse: the right loop is often much worse struck than the left loop. New Orleans are the worst offenders and San Francisco produced the best examples.
On to the obverse: "There IS an eye ball!" I never noticed that before, or a least one which shows so prominently. The "LIBERTY" is about as sharp as is possible.
The detail: the more that I looked the more that I saw which I had never seen before.
----
But the question remains: "How do you grade it?"
Well, let's count the "dings:"
1) On the neck, along a line from the lower eye lid to the two flowing ribbons on the left side, there is a contact mark. Made by the edge of one dime hitting this one. If you have to have one of these, it is in an inconspicuous place.
2,3,4,5 --- a few more. I want to post this and I am getting impatient. And those are all on the obverse.
But none are distracting.
MS-63!
Just a guess.
Matthew

Oh WAIT! I turned to my copy of "The Complete Guide to Barber dimes" by David Lawrence and noted the following:

[Re:1916 Philadelphia]

"Strike is often disappointing, luster variable."

Well, that cinched it for me!
No matter what the "numerical" grade, this coin would appeal to any true collector of the series.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Edited by matthewvincent
02/27/2012 4:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5380 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with MS-64. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4417 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with MS-64. Although there are a few imperfections I don't think they are serious enough to knock the grade any lower. Beautiful coin, love the toning.
Valued Member
344 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris beatie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was so beautiful I hardly noticed the 2 nicks on the cheek.

MS 64. or strong ms63
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kazuma78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id say its a 64
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  1:38 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It resides in a PCGS holder, graded MS62. I believe it is one point, possibly two points undergraded by today's standards. Nonetheless, it will remain in that holder and a part of my type-set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6162 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She's a looker!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have been a 'net graded slider'. I'm seeing that with a lot of 'clean' low MS coins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05