Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Does anyone buy these?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
phazon
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  2:28 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add phazon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I find a nice one every now and then that has all of its original luster and was wondering if there is collectors that buy these coins. This one isn't as nice as some of them but just a pic to get the conversation started.

Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use them for hole fillers. Pretty cool color. I think I have about two dozen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
probably young or new collectors buy them to start a whitman or dansco, other than that copper value I think
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phazon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So people don't collect them cause of the condition of the coin? to fill coin sets?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy hunting for those more than purchasing them, but I am sure that somebody would buy it. I don't think it would be worth a lot.

Ask your local dealer or take them to a show and see what kind of offers you get. They could be worth 5 to 15 cents each -- but I'm no expert so I could be wrong.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this one in my pocket last week. Almost let it go as a zinc without checking date. Nothing special but fun to find. Makes me wonder where it's been for over 50 years.

United States
21073 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds!

I would definitely keep them.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little off topic, but there is something about that decade of LMC that I like. Can't really pin it down, maybe the high profile of the coins, maybe the history of the 60's in general.

So much happened during that time that touched and impacted so many Americans and the good ol' US of A.

I don't hoard the coppers, but I keep filling up a cup of the 60s and then roll em and store em. 60s only, and found S mm.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phazon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do to I found one from 1959 like that I mean the books says in ms65 the ones from 60 to 65 or worth about 10 each but who is going to pay that much for them I love finding these coins because its like they can be there in circulation for 50 years and still look that nice.
United States
21073 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can't really pin it down, maybe the high profile of the coins...
The higher profile on the earlier Lincoln Memorial Cents is definitely something that always attracts me to them. I can always spot a 1960s LMC in my change without reading the date.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and was wondering if there is collectors that buy these coins

Probably not.
And it wouldn't be practical to keep sending ones off to the grading company to get them graded and slabbed. Too expensive to do that.
Therefore.....it's just a nice very common coin for your folder or album or coin tube.
In nice condition....they're not that rare either. I too, have found MANY of these in the '60's in Gem Brilliant condition too...still only worth a Cent !
One time, in a $25.00 Cent box, I found almost a whole roll of 1960 D's in INCREDIBLE SHAPE !
I HAD to keep them......

You never know what could happen on Epay....but I still doubt that a "raw" 1960-D Lincoln in any high MS "opinion" grade would ever be worth your efforts.
Even whole rolls of them......prolly not that profitable. They're still just TOO COMMON !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
always attracts me to them.

I wondered if any one else had that same 'attraction'.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the difference between 1968 and 1969 cents. Even though they changed the reverse in 1959, they didn't re-cut the master hub for the obverse until 1969. In the intervening years there is little detail in the bust, and it has a blobby appearance, even though it's attractive because of the high relief. From 1969 through the 1974 large date, the details were really sharp, and I like this period the best. Then when they were pondering a switch to aluminum, they ruined the details with the 1974 small date. It that it remained pretty crappy until the 90s when some of the detail returned, but all the relief was gone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:47 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the small date 60-D's are a keeper in my book even though it doesn't carry the value a regular 60 small date does. They're still just as tough to locate in nice shape.
United States
21073 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... there is little detail in the bust, and it has a blobby appearance, even though it's attractive because of the high relief.
This reminds me of the new ATB quarters with the restored obverse that replaced the crazy detailed "spaghetti hair" (which had altered my perception). I will trade (some) detail for (higher) relief.

Quote:
From 1969 through the 1974 large date, the details were really sharp, and I like this period the best.
I have to agree. I said I liked the "earlier" LMC, knowing that some of the 1970's were part of this range. I could not remember when the cutoff was, but 1974 makes sense. I suppose the lack of detail is part of the reason why the 1960's cents stand out to me more.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, 1969 is the obvious date for a type set example for copper memorial cents. It's got the fresh new hub, it's a historically significant year in the US, and even the sequence of digits in the date itself 969 is visually interesting.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05