Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just got my USB Microscope Camera !  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's the link for the details..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9-0049-00004
Installing software wasn't too bad on my Windows 7 PC, or my Vista laptop. Only problems was first Auto-run did not start so I had to manually install both the hardware driver, and the capture software program off the included CD... And DO NOT use a USB hub, plug directly into the USB port on your PC or it won't install properly either.

As for the Microscope itself there's not much to it just one dial for focusing that at first is a little tight but loosens up with some use. And the 3 position off/low/high LED light switch. The stand leaves allot to be desired but for the price I can't complain. Though a sturdy stand would help allot when it comes to trying to focus. All other settings and adjustments are made through the capture software, which also includes cool features for adding notes, lines and taking measurements onto the photo.

It does what it says it does and I am delighted with my $26 investment. For first time users like me it may take awhile to get the right color settings and lighting. But I see already it has lots of potential. I will post a sample photo in my next post.
Completed; Liberty nickels, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Franklin, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Washington clad, Lincoln no SVDB 14D, Mercury no 16D

In progress; Indian, Buffalo, Walker, Barber, U.S. Type, Morgan, Peace, Washington silver, Canada, United Kingdom, and too many more to mention.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's taking me awhile and doing allot of experimenting to get all the settings, lighting, and adjustments right. But here is a shot of a Lincoln Memorial cent, it was taken in dim ambient room lighting. And the built in LED light setting on LOW...

Completed; Liberty nickels, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Franklin, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Washington clad, Lincoln no SVDB 14D, Mercury no 16D

In progress; Indian, Buffalo, Walker, Barber, U.S. Type, Morgan, Peace, Washington silver, Canada, United Kingdom, and too many more to mention.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides checking for errors, varieties, and close up details, the other reason I got this was to take a photo inventory of my collection.. So I've been playing with the color settings, trying to get them right, particularly for my BU red cents, Here's another sample taken using only the built in LED set to LOW, as the light source. Those are different color post it notes under the penny, I'm using as a guide for color adjustments. The top right should be yellow so looks like I need to make some more adjustments.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22643 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give it a shot with either "pure" white or pure black as a background, Harry. Then, try to achieve a setting where you see no "color" whatsoever in the background - a certain level of grey is acceptable, as we can't expect an inexpensive digital microscope to have sophisticated gamma controls - but if you achieve "no color," the true color of the coin should follow and it won't cost you as much effort.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Give it a shot with either "pure" white or pure black as a background, Harry. Then, try to achieve a setting where you see no "color" whatsoever in the background - a certain level of grey is acceptable, as we can't expect an inexpensive digital microscope to have sophisticated gamma controls - but if you achieve "no color," the true color of the coin should follow and it won't cost you as much effort.

Thanks for the help Dave I can use it.. There actually are quite a few color adjustments that can be made. Including Gama. They are;
Brightness
Contrast
Hue
Saturation
Sharpness
Gamma
White Balance w/ auto option
Exposure w/auto option
Low light compensation w/auto

There are 2 others; Back-light comp and Gain, they are disabled and I haven't figured out how to enable them yet but the others are customizable.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22643 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. You seem to have a pretty good working concept of the possible corrections involved - do you have postprocessing software capable of doing the same thing? In the presence of reasonably good bespoke software for that purpose, I tend to get the rawest-possible picture from the imaging system and apply the corrections in post because that software is likely more powerful and subtle.

If not, I'll bet you can do pretty good with what you've got. Don't worry about the unavailable settings; inference tells me backlight compensation will never be a factor, and gain is likely some sort of amalgamation of brightness, contrast and sharpness.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, awesome!! why didn't I think of it. I tried the post processing, using a simple photo editor in just a few seconds I was able to get closer to the desired color I am trying to capture with the Microscope. With more time I know I could do a whole lot better. In the meantime I will continue experimenting with the USB microscope color settings, using the pure white and black backgrounds you suggested. Attempting to get the best possible results with it, before post processing. I will post results.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22643 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just understand - you're pursuing two differing goals with this setup, and what works for one - detail pics - probably won't work for the other - full-face pics. Be prepared for parallel learning curves.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood.. I am getting wide and varied results already. I also noticed having my quartz halogen table lamp on will completely throw everything off as well. And that's gonna be a Whole other learning curve for me. So I want to try and nail it down as best I can using only the built in LED light and ambient lighting. before I start trying other light sources. My goal is to get it set up to use "on the fly". Mostly I will try using it for one purpose or another at one time. Either just whole coin photographing or just details. I don't want to keep re calibrating things. My main concern is getting the colors right on the whole coin pics. Not so much in the microscopic details pics.

Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Practice, practice.. Here's one with white background. Using built in LED's as only light source. No post processing. I see some cartwheel luster in this one. Also not shown here, I discovered holding my hand over coin, (blocking it's reflection?), gave me a good cameo shot. Is that the best way to capture the mirror look on coins? Thanks for your help. I must say I am Having a ball with the new toy. I'm very pleased with the capabilities of this very inexpensive USB Microscope.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6618 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through different colored backgrounds and finally just settled on this one...

Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ 52Raymo, actually my background in the last shot was just the white cardboard of the 2x2 holder. Works well but for the glare from the Mylar.
Was your pic taken with a USB Micro.?
If so can you tell me a little about how you setup for that pic?
So far I'm getting good results from the built in LED's. Found that the color improves the further the Micro is away from the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6618 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2012  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the pic is from my USB microscope. I have a Celeron that has 6 led lights. I covered most of them. I wish I could dim them but I have no adjustments at all.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2012  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harry213

Can the LED lights be turned off on your camera. Better yet can they be dimmed. Just sent one back for refund to A China place. Could not get it to work nohow. May consider buying one like you have but would like to be able to turn the LEDs off if I could.

edgman
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2012  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harry213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can the LED lights be turned off on your camera. Better yet can they be dimmed.

On mine it has 8 LED's, The switch turns them on High, Low or OFF. There is no dimming capability built in.. There's very little light required. Most times I use it on Low and even that seems too bright. So dimming would be a big advantage.

Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2012  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harry213

Thanks for the reply. Just ordered one. Hope they are in stock.

edgman
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05