Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

redbook

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
164 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  05:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rohumpy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

IMO the one reference every collector should have is the RedBook. Yes, I know the prices are suspect if not fantasies in some cases. BUT, the amount of information this one little book has is unbelievable. If you can have only one coin reference this should be it.

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. It's a good book.
Learn More...
7228 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  07:52 am  Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are new to the forum or coin collecting

The U.S. Coins Red Book, properly known as A Guide Book of United States Coins and published annually, is a widely-used retail price list for U.S. coinage. It is called the Red Book because of its red cover. The Red Book lists the values of practically every known U.S. coin ever minted, with most coins showing prices in several condition grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup......when I first got one.......it certainly educated me and became my travelling "bible"....not really a "price line".......but EVERYTHING is there! My dad's old Blue book from the 1970's was all I had before........and that was NOT a good reference guide....(neat to compare though)
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yup......when I first got one.......it certainly educated me and became my travelling "bible"....not really a "price line".......but EVERYTHING is there! My dad's old Blue book from the 1970's was all I had before........and that was NOT a good reference guide....(neat to compare though)

Blue book is a listing of dealer bid price .. correct?
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still remember reading The Red Book when I was a kid.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11377 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  09:18 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting story on the Red Book prices....

I've completed all my Lincoln proofs. In Excel I have a list of all the coins along with Red Book price and the price I paid. I totalled the price columns and it ended up being almost the exact same! I was surprized it was that close.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Learn More...
United States
21717 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting "find" there BadThad!

Now here is my not so interesting Red Book story... A week or two ago I was watching The Celebrity Apprentice and their task involved RedBook Magazine. Of course when I first heard them utter " RedBook" that night, I got very excited, only to be quickly disappointed.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Edited by jbuck
03/14/2008 11:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  11:23 am  Show Profile Check TheForce's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never owned a Red Book. I agree though it has some valuable information but the prices I don't think truly reflect market conditions.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the wealth of information is invaluable. I am fairly upset that the greysheet has become available to everyone with $4. The problem is that people don't realize how the hobby works and that these are static price guides and cannot be deviated from.
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the RedBook price for a 1994 P proof silver eagle ?

pcgs lists it at around 200 dollars in pr63+ grade
numismedia only shows up to pr60 and lists that grade at 32 dollars (doesn't seem realistic considering a couple were sold on eBay yesterday for close to or more than 200 dollars).
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Red Book Lists the 1994 at 225.00
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chill.......
Yes, the Blue Book is generally a "dealer price" guide to buy them......be great if the average fella could buy coins at those cheap wholesale prices ! But it's pretty unlikely......somewhere between there and the RedBook prices are more realistic for us.
Some people look at the Blue Book as "buying" guide and the Red Book as a "selling" guide....but that's really not accurate at all either. What a dealer will pay and what we'll pay are light years apart !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2008  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tpatna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When will 2009 Red Book be out? I thought it was usually in April sometime?
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The Red Book Lists the 1994 at 225.00

ok thanks
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2008  08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tpatna :
When will 2009 Red Book be out? I thought it was usually in April sometime?

Just got this off Whitmans web site .

2009 Red Book U.S. Coins Spiral $14.95
Pre-Order Now. Ships on April 8th, 2008. Get Free Shipping on your entire order when ordering this title. Your order will ship immediately and your Red Book will ship on April 8th. The Official Red BookA Guide Book of United States Coinsenters its 62nd year with no signs of slowing down! Americans nationwide look to this "one-volume library" to tell them how rare their coins are and how much they're worth. Collectors rely on it for its full-color photographs and detailed technical data. The Red Book covers the history and values of colonial and early American coins, half cents through silver dollars and gold, commemoratives, Proof and Mint sets, errors, Civil War tokens, territorial gold, state quarters, Presidential dollars, and other U.S. coins, with practical essays on grading, investing, auctions, and more. Pricing for more than 6,000 coins, more than 700 full-color photographs, updated values, mintages, and auction records. Expanded coverage of commemoratives, sets, and other coins. New state quarters and Presidential dollars. Full Color. 432 Pages. Spiralbound. Bressett.

Seeking:I will wait have a 2008 for now .

Rainman
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05