Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Help I Have Been Looking For Info On These German Beer Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,188Next Topic Page 2 of 2
New Member
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdlock to your friends list
I literally have been looking for info for years. I have looked at every pic on the internet and nothing. I really hope someone can help me. But I am feeling like it wont happen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2012  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list
Good for one beer. Self-Protection Registered Association of Salzkotten (near Paderborn). E.V. stands for Eingetragener Verein - Registered Association.
New Member
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2013  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdlock to your friends list
is this rare? I have never seen any like it. I have seen other types but not like these
Pillar of the Community
United Arab Emirates
557 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2013  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BLadd to your friends list
Nice!

Beer tokens are great!
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2013  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjh241 to your friends list
Well if it's not rare, it's worth at least a free beer.
New Member
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2013  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdlock to your friends list
nobody knows where I can find out aything like value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list
Check the obvious like ebay and Google.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjh241 to your friends list
If you are interested in German beer tokens, check this site:
http://www.historisches-unterfranke...erei=&sigle=
Your token is not in it. It may be because yours has the Nazi stamp, and the German laws may prevent such a listing.
German beer tokens for this period (1900-40's) appear to sell between $1-$20.

New Member
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdlock to your friends list
I have been checking everywhere for the past ten years. I only recently joind the stamp forum and saw there was a coiun forum as well. Thought maybe someone here could help. I like the challenge of finding out what it is. Please any help apprieciated. I have plenty of other stuff to keep me interested.
New Member
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdlock to your friends list
sjh241 thank you that web site was incredible.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjh241 to your friends list
Well, I think you have pretty much nailed this down. You know the period (1920-1945; the years of the Nazi party), where it was issued (Salzkotten)by whom (Self-Protection Registered Association, but maybe it is for the Self Defense Forces) and for what (beer). If this self-protection/self defense organization is related to something founded around WW2, it would narrow down the time-frame from to the mid/late 30's to 1945.
I think if you want to 100% attribute this token, your next step would be to research German beer token collectors and contact them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list
A Schützengesellschaft means a shooting club. These can date back for centuries in the German-speaking lands.
In fact, the Schützengesellschaft Salzkotten (now Schützenbruderschaft, or Shooters' Brotherhood) now has a website:

http://www.schuetzen-salzkotten.de/.../?page_id=14

Contact them! I bet they'd be helpful, unless they'd rather not be reminded of their club's past political affiliations!
Edited by philadelphian
01/02/2013 9:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjh241 to your friends list
Learn something new everyday on these forums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list
I believe the main responsibility of a Schützengesellschaft is to preside over a town's Schützenfest. I attended one once; it's a fair or carnival these days, but still with the centerpiece of an archery contest, which is taken quite seriously, and results in a year's bragging rights for the winner. The roots of the Schützenfest lie in the medieval goal of keeping a town's male populace's marksmanship up to snuff in case of war. I can personally attest, though, that, in the modern era, the drinking of beer runs a close second to the shooting of arrows at a Schützenfest.
Edited by philadelphian
01/02/2013 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1238 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2013  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list

Quote:
Your token is not in it. It may be because yours has the Nazi stamp, and the German laws may prevent such a listing.

Nice site, but it shows beer tokens from Unterfranken, a region in the state of Bavaria. That is why a token from Salzkotten, NW cannot be found there. ;)

Christian
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,188Next Topic Page 2 of 2
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Forums