Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

What Has 13 Stars And 17 Jewels? ... A Draped Bust Pocket Watch

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,128Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list
Fun item, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7842 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list
Looks like it is time for some hands on that watch. Sweep center second I presume?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10284 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list
That is neat. I imagine you had to plane off the reverse considerably. No numerals are necessary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list
I very nearly cut the counterfeit for a sub dial, since an american Half Dime is the exact diameter of the Illinois sub dial. I decided that for this first effort, no second hand was necessary, and ground off the pinion.

I do have a nice set of blued spade hands for it.

The dial is less than 1/16" thick.

Its a fun little project. Most of the silver was was lost in the process, and that I will restore, and then I can give it a lttle patina.

Chance
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list
Fine use of China junk. Work well rewarded.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list

Quote:
Most of the silver was was lost in the process, and that I will restore, and then I can give it a lttle patina.


I thought Chinese counterfeits were generally made out of base metals?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3540 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list
I like this endeavor. Cannot wait to see the grand finale!
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196278 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17884 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list

Quote:
I thought Chinese counterfeits were generally made out of base metals?

I believe he's referring to the silver color.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list
I'll finish everything but the plating work pretty quickly. I went out to the shop last night and found out that I should have brought the plating solution into the house last fall....oops.

Chance
Pillar of the Community
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list
Very nice Chance!

I can't wait to see the finished project.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11968 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chancellor Sutler to your friends list
Yes, I was referring to the silver plating and patina. This coin is actually steel... sparks like crazy when grinding it. I wish it had been silver washed copper. It would have taken far less time to thin it.

Chance
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
24885 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list
Nice watch ...
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,128Next Topic Page 2 of 2
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Forums