Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Why Would Anyone Buy A Replica Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page Previous Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,130Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2024  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list

Quote:
Some completionists just have an aversion to the empty album hole.
It is why I have no problem freeing coins from TPG slabs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2024  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list
He had all of the heavy hitters attempted to be sold as genuine on line, including:

Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2024  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list

Quote:
He had all of the heavy hitters attempted to be sold as genuine on line, including:


That centered date on the 1794.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Liag49 to your friends list
Update - "503 results for replica coins" - copied from ebay
this morning.

Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list
I would buy a 1895 Morgan replica for the Dansco date and mm album. Why on earth would they have a hole for a proof only rarity like that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list
I bought a Daniel Carr "moonlight Mint" 1964 Peace dollar and absolutely love it. It's struck on a real Peace dollar, is MS-68 condition or better, and looks 100% authentic other than the fantasy date.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin...ntasy/877747
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list
I need a 64 Peace dollar!
I would buy one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list
Would you buy a replica '64 Peace dollar?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5301 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list

Quote:
I need a 64 Peace dollar!
I would buy one.

You can find them on ebay.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2024  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list
Honestly depends on the price but I think a 64 Peace dollar replica struck over a real Peace dollar would be a fun conversation piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2250 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2024  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list
To answer your question: because they can be cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2024  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list
I bought this for research; obviously an uninformed example, it did weigh correctly at 27.0. I will likely take it to my local coin shop to scan the metal when I get a chance just for s&gs....

Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?

Edge images:
Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?

And I realized th obverse matched previous bad draped bust dollars and the reverse is a common one they used from a 1795 OC design.

Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Replica-Coin?
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1791 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2024  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker_101 to your friends list
I came across this dealer on Etsy. The coins look real enough and the weights on some I checked in the description are fairly close. I can some someone purchasing on of these and then another person gets a hold of the coin and thinks its real. I don't see any markers on them.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllianceA...page=listing
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3815 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2024  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list

Quote:
I bought a Daniel Carr "moonlight Mint" 1964 Peace dollar

@fenton, while I generally avoid replica coins, I also recently purchased one of the Daniel Carr "1964-D" Peace dollar fantasy coins graded MS68 by PCGS when a favored dealer had a few show up in his inventory. The only other replica I own is a 1804 silver dollar copy in an NGC holder which came with a book about that coin.
Member of SPMC, FCCB, ANA and ANS.
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
Edited by hokiefan_82
11/14/2024 2:31 pm
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,130Next Topic Page 3 of 3
First Page Previous Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Forums