| Author |
Replies: 17 / Views: 1,229 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5649 Posts |
All I suggested is to use leaf 13 as the spot to "identify my coin" and see which Revs fit what you have. You will have the big vine break there, but it looks like the stem is incomplete as well, and it looked to me as the start of a crack as well. It was just a suggestion, not a direction to check 13 on every '59. You said that you couldn't find it using the normal method(s). Then you appear to have some D/C's at 14, 15, 16. See if any of those match your Rev, then click on the designation and see if OTHER things line up.
Edited by okiecoiner 09/02/2026 10:34 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5649 Posts |
As I said before, above, I don't use Haxby numbers. I go by the old, common names, that we all had for our '59's, as well as Griffin numbers and the page #'s that we gave the 2011 Charlton. Now, I have sold, thru a friend, many Haxby scarcities that were ID'd by Randy Mason (Haxby's right hand man). I sent 2 bunches of 59's, more than 500 each, to help with Jim and Randy's ID with Haxby number and the published guide. What Randy did with all my coins (at one time I had over 1100 1859's) was remarkable. He not only ID'd (with Haxby #) each holder (I use 1 1/2 X 1 1/2's), but he prepared inventory sheets that told me how many I had of each Haxby #, but also the scarcity of each of them. I find that to use the Haxby system, it is easier for me to use this section of the Haxby Guide ( https://www.vickycents.com/id-by-rev-markers.html ) and then I will direct the program to certain specific areas that has D/C's or other irregularities in one place. For me, it is much easier to look at the D/C's, stems and vine in each area to find the coin that I have that matches my coin. It is much easier to pinpoint a Haxby number looking at 2-4 abnormalities in one place rather than just stem 9, especially if the coin is worn. Anyway, I hope that you found your coin and ID'd it.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
842 Posts |
Before the site started, I had 360 1859's just sitting there. I wanted to sell doubles but couldn't figure out what was what. I used the early, awkward Haxby numbers since day 1 (glad it became simpler). Now, I've IDed over 400 of my own 1859's from the amazing Dr. Haxby site and used it to check 1859s on ebay for die pairs that I didn't have. For this coin I used every detail possible. I had checked this coin years ago and put it aside then and again now because nothing seemed to work 100%. The one above has NO cracks or other easily identifiable features except for the die clashes and a dot over the stem of leaf 9 (must be rust on the coin, not the die). The kicker is that the loop 2 of O1 looks alike, and O1 also has wide gap in loop 7, and the stem of leaf 9 is similar, and the first photo of mine appears to have a line (stem?) to leaf 8. Thus, I had hoped someone might recognize the die clashes on mine, which are different, to ID it. Because of Dr. Haxby's site, I cut the number of keepers to 133 different pairs and 20 or so doubles. I still have a small batch of doubles to sell one day. I don't plan on adding more, so I have 9 pages of 2x2s, all gladly marked with Haxby number.     
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5649 Posts |
There are two posts missing from this thread, after the ones shown. There is one from gidjit and another from me. Were they deleted?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1993 Posts |
Terry do you have any of the ones I need that aren't highlighted? 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1993 Posts |
I was wondering if they were deleted as well
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
842 Posts |
gidgit, it looks like there are 4 from the list. 155-174-190-239. I won't cry if some have to leave the flock. I got to 133 so that's pretty good.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2215 Posts |
narrow 9--low 9-- 
Edited by mikev50 09/09/2026 04:11 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1993 Posts |
Terry can u send me a msg
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
842 Posts |
Did you get my message ? I was on my old laptop and I didn't receive a copy of the message back in my email, so thought maybe it didn't go through correctly. If it did get through, don't worry about the spider.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1993 Posts |
I didn't get it, I sent you one
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
842 Posts |
Well, I guess my gmail has a problem. Please send the message to my usual email- crthomson at hotmail dot com .
|
|
New Member
Canada
1 Posts |
Hey Terry I sent you a list as well Maybe I can add some your looking for in trades You might be able to help me upgrade a few
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195810 Posts |
 to the Community, Bradgravestone!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5649 Posts |
Oh, he's been around jbuck, since with a different name. He'll be deep into Vicky large cents.
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 17 / Views: 1,229 |
Page 2 of 2
|