| Author |
Replies: 16 / Views: 505 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
844 Posts |
Quote: Maybe insert the magnets from the opposite side so that a (not too thin) layer of the original plastic is holding them in place instead of the epoxy. Cutting through-holes with the laser is quick and easy. Removing part of the thickness of the material means burning it away, a time-consuming process which produces a lot of smoke and fumes, and can be difficult to get right.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
8991 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6863 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195597 Posts |
Quote: Cutting through-holes with the laser is quick and easy. Removing part of the thickness of the material means burning it away, a time-consuming process which produces a lot of smoke and fumes, and can be difficult to get right. Understood. Quote: Would this work?  
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
21893 Posts |
Keith has the answer to your question.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
844 Posts |
Thanks, Keith67, that sure looks like a good start.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7326 Posts |
Pending on the total depth of the case, I was thinking a somewhat cheap solution would be auto panel pins...Something like these 316677408752The "spread" of the core could create enough friction to hold... 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107000 Posts |
I think that Keith's link would work the best.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195597 Posts |
Quote:I was thinking a somewhat cheap solution would be auto panel pins...Something like these 316677408752 An interesting solution, I mus say. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
844 Posts |
Quote: Pending on the total depth of the case, I was thinking a somewhat cheap solution would be auto panel pins... I do have some of these. They are kind of clunky, though, for lack of a better term. The "Chicago screws" used by Capital are pretty unobtrusive.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
844 Posts |
Here, by the way, is a prototype coin-holder I was working on last night. This one seems to hold itself together all right by pressure and friction, although a final version might want some glue. It is a coin display, not because it needs to be one, but because that's what I tend to make by default. I call it "the logical inverse of a fidget toy", but really it is a placeholder. More specifically, it is meant to be a solution to one of life's minor annoyances, the tendency of buffet attendants to clear away your place when you get up to grab another drink, or something you had forgotten. This is meant as an obvious "I am coming back" signal. 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195597 Posts |
Very interesting! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
844 Posts |
After some investigation, I have ordered 400 (200 white and 200 clear) sets of 3/16" small-head "Chicago Screws" from a Canadian outfit. These appear to match very closely what Capital uses, and even with international shipping and the new tariff, I'll be paying about 30¢ each.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6863 Posts |
They look the same to me. Good deal 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195597 Posts |
Good luck! 
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 16 / Views: 505 |
Page 2 of 2
|