Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1916 Double Die Buffalo Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 10,701Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
westernsky's Avatar
United States
7732 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2014  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the pics only I think it has a 90% chance of being the real deal. The coin will need to be professionally "conserved" and graded.

No one in their right mind will fork over a jillion dollars for a coin like this unless it's slabbed by PCGS or NGC.

Nice pick up!
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2014  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mikey07nj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the one I found in a box of silver. After selling the bullion to recover my investment I had about 12 to 15 keydates. netting a nice $1500 profit on a $3200 investment. 2 months later my wife threatens to throw out the box under the bed if I don't do something with it. That's when I found mine. Sold it on ebay for $7,000 as a vg 10. and was later sold at heritage for $7,000 in sept 2012. this is why the weight matters. tough coin to replicate unless casted. they are out there. I added the reverse so you can see the corrosion even with that and the scratched face I get a vg 10. so definatly send to pcgs as I think the rarity of the coin is the only reason it graded that way. I think anyplace else you may get details grade

1916-Double-Die-Buffalo-Nickel

1916-Double-Die-Buffalo-Nickel
Edited by Mikey07nj
06/03/2014 12:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
junior e's Avatar
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2014  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of luck. I think that it is the real deal. My Brother has one, and Yours looks exactly or nearly so to his. Since it didn't cost You anything, I would hang on to it for ten years or so. Better than the 1/2% the banks are paying these days. I'm jealous. My Brother has the greatest luck my Grandfather gave us all a silver dollar, and I wanted the shiny one, a 1904 O. My Brother took the old looking one. 1889 CC. Story of my life.
New Member
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oneshot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all quick update for you, the coin was sent to pcgs for grading after what seemed like an eternity I finally had a call to say that the coin was back slabbed with a grade of AU58
thank you all for your input
Pillar of the Community
oih82w8's Avatar
United States
7842 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you opt to have it TrueViewed?
Pillar of the Community
westernsky's Avatar
United States
7732 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good deal! That's what I would call a big time home run! Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
MeadowviewCollector's Avatar
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome oneshot

Hoping you'll share pictures of it when you get it back.


-MV
Pillar of the Community
ksammut's Avatar
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait for you to get it back!
Pillar of the Community
Cruisinfusion's Avatar
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the PCGS price guide, that is a $47,500 coin.

Congratulations on your awesome find and I wish you good luck on selling it or keeping it! Glad it worked out!

Here is a trustworthy place to sell it:

http://www.ha.com/
Pillar of the Community
52Raymo's Avatar
United States
8534 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2014  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice outcome !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
TreasHunt's Avatar
United States
2540 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2014  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats!
Pillar of the Community
TreasHunt's Avatar
United States
2540 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2014  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But:

FYI:

It is a DoubleD die
Pillar of the Community
RedRaider's Avatar
United States
1028 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2014  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! what a wonderful outcome. Thats hitting the lotto right there. I wonder how many people held this coin in their hands before it was "found". Nice story!
Pillar of the Community
TJsCoins's Avatar
United States
3229 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2014  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!! Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
hesgut's Avatar
1028 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2014  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you going to sell the coin anytime soon? If so, where? It probably won't bring the 47,500 pcgs estimate but it is sell-able at 40,000 IMO. I'd love to have it, but this is out of my price range. I do know someone else who potentially could be a legitimate buyer of this coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 10,701Next Topic
Page: of 3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Forums