| Author |
Replies: 10 / Views: 1,012 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1483 Posts |
Bought the sticker and not the coin, paid 3x retail but that being said seeking Buffalo connoisseurs objective opinions on possible CACs motive for the gold sticker? To my non expert eyes it simply looks like a nice toned MS66. On the one hand a simple undergrade, on the other a mysterious coveted unique blockbuster. I'm for the former. Gold sticker conspiracy theorists your opinions welcome also. pics courtesy of GC.   
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
Great luster and eye apppeal, but a number of nicks are visible, particularly on the reverse. I think 65 is the right call.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
8946 Posts |
 MS-65. Not sure why this GCac'd
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18932 Posts |
the cape separation from the shoulder is not fully defined and there a couple scratches in that area that may have held to 65. I'm not a CAC sticker person so I cant comment on that. but the coin has very nice eye appeal. I don't know whats better. an MS65 gold bean or a straight MS66 grade. either way its a nice coin
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1483 Posts |
Thanks, I have to be frank...basically I bought it so I could own one. Not business savy more like putting a wind scoop on the hood of a 73 Dodge Dart 2 door with a slantsix. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37206 Posts |
MS-65 looks right. Too many small marks for a 66.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7732 Posts |
I think 65 is about right.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4680 Posts |
Solid MS65, by no means a weak strike, but there is some weakness on the reverse that was already pointed out. Typically unless you have a solid full strike, you won't get any higher than a 65, regardless of luster and contact marks/scratches. Nice coin!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3744 Posts |
EMDS obverse and MDS reverse, which is fairly well matched for any date in the series. There is fairly heavy die clashing and die polishing to remove the clashes. This explains the weak hair on the buffalo's head and the incomplete rachis on the second feather. The strike is average.
The bag marks on the Indian's hair and braid cap the obverse at MS-66, which is the most common grade for the date. The reverse is rougher, with a pretty good divot and multiple scratches on the shoulder. The reverse is MS-65, barely.
I would net grade this as MS-65 because of the die polishing and resulting appearance. Even if CAC was mesmerized by the toning, the sticker makes no sense, because the die polishing and average strike are the proper factors in the net grade.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1483 Posts |
Interesting analysis much appreciated. Considering comments and snooping the web the 38 D buffalo seems to have the highest gold beans awarded. The Mark Spitz series of Olympic gold beans. Good conversation peice for local coin club when things normalize here. Thanks everyone.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1483 Posts |
Here is the coin under an android lens. The GC pics I loaded above I feel muted the beauty of this one. The luster and eye appeal are outstanding. Ah, the joy of the 1938 D Buffalo nickel.   
|
| |
Replies: 10 / Views: 1,012 |
|