| Author |
Replies: 11 / Views: 1,018 |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11966 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4680 Posts |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
VF-20 sounds right. Price seems high. Cannot understand the long-term appeal of a coin like this. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
11966 Posts |
I'm not sure that this coin is VF20. There seems to be some striking weakness in the center as was typical for this issue in the shield, but the peripheral leaves look much stronger than that grade as does the reverse. The reverse looks especially well struck, better than some MS coins that I have owned which typically are weak on one side. Also, I am befuddled by the indication that I may have paid too much for this coin. Greysheet puts out a CDN retail indication for coins and the VF20 price of this coin is $108. The wholesale greysheet price is below that, but I doubt it is less than $41. If anyone has access to greysheet pricing and wants to share what a VF20 1866 Shield nickel is trading for wholesale it would be very helpful. I wonder on what basis the price I paid for this coin was high?  The VG8 version of this coin retails for almost $45.  
Edited by numismatic student 08/21/2021 8:21 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4680 Posts |
Here ya go NS, I think you did just fine on the price. Edit: PM sent @ NS 
Edited by Ty2020b 08/21/2021 10:21 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
My price evaluation wrong, apologize. ED spots detract, but the price seems a value if this is the sort of thing you want to put away for appreciation. Not for me in any event. 
Edited by Coinfrog 08/21/2021 10:36 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
11966 Posts |
Thanks for clarifying Coinfrog. As far as mistakes go, I've made my fair share of bonehead moves when it comes to buying coins, as has been amply demonstrated in this forum. You keep me in check and have made me more discerning over the years. Appreciate your daily effort to provide feedback and help on this forum.
@Ty2020b - Thanks for the info. I checked the email linked to CCF - for the first time in years. Apologize to everyone who wrote me over the years for not responding. I don't really check that email. Ty2020b, I didn't see a message from you, so I am lost when it comes to CCF communication.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4680 Posts |
Weird. You can try to PM me, if not, oh well!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
9810 Posts |
I think it's a nice F15 no real issues that I see. I also like these "with rays" nickels myself the best of the series.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013! ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1981, ANS, Early American Coppers Member (EAC), Colonial Coin Collectors Club member (C4), Conder Token Collector Club member (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS) member, Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC) & Numismatic Bibliomania Society member (NBS), USMex, Member in good standing, 2¢ variety collector. See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
|
|
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37163 Posts |
It looks strong enough for VF-20. Spots hurt eye appeal but won't "details" the coin. Good price for it.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts |
|
| |
Replies: 11 / Views: 1,018 |
|