| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,000 |
|
|
New Member
United States
5 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts |
Hello. The "O" and "R" in DDO and DDR refer to obverse and reverse, so it definitely isn't a DDR. It's most likely just Machine Doubling on this coin, but I'll let the experts answer, since I'm still new to this myself.
|
|
Member
United States
3242 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7629 Posts |
|
|
New Member
 United States
5 Posts |
Thank you for your replies.
So what should it be called? And is it typical for this year? Should it be kept?
The PLURIBUS is also doubled?
Thank you, Kay
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
Its a minor error. Not worth saving. The only list of errors would be categories. Incomplete planchet/wrong planchet/strike through/off center/lamination/broad-struck/ETC.... Some warrant a premium, others happen so frequently they are not valuable at all. More of a conversation piece to new collectors to appreciate their valueless find. The real term is Machine Doubled Damage. To a collector of the highest grade coins, these I pass over as they distract from a coins value to purist collectors.
Edited by coop 01/29/2008 2:45 pm
|
|
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts |
Okay, I have to finally say something about some people saying 'minor error' and 'not worth saving'. ;)
Even though all of the 'errors' I posted have been found to give the coin no extra value, I think they may be unique enough to hold onto. Especially if you get them in change and paid no premium for them in the first place.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts |
The main reason we say that is if we said, 'Ooh, that's a keeper', then it will show up on ebay tomorrow with an outrageous price!
|
|
Valued Member
138 Posts |
I would keep because it's an oddity and that many people do collect them. Besides you probably never find another one with the same date.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts |
I would keep it until I wanted to upgrade. I wouldn't put it back into circulation.
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,000 |
|