So, pulled this out of a 1998 mint set packaging (sealed sleeve) to get a better look. It rough to the touch and appears to be two indentations. I took several pictures at different angles and it looks like it has a 3D shape to it. There's also a line below Lincoln's hair line, but I don't think that is anything to write home about.
Not entirely sure what I have here with the weird mark (Mint damage?), any input is appreciated.
It looks like a struck through something? It appears to be not something hard. Why do I say that? When looking at the bottom of the affected area, do you see lines on that area? That tells me it was grease, perhaps a clump of glue with these lines on it. But I'm leaning more towards grease. The lines are probably rolling lines on the planchet, that were not erased from the strike because of the grease. But the question that still haunts me is why didn't the grease just move/flatten?
I was thinking it was a strike through. If it is, would be worth while to get it professionally graded/examined? Or would it not be valuable enough to pursue that?
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use