I have a terrible time determining original surfaces on nickels sometimes. Color looks good on this one, so I put it at VF 35, priced at $200 so let me know what y'all think.
I agree with VF-35. I sense that this has been cleaned at one point. All of the easily-cleaned fields and high areas are light, while the less-accessible areas are all much darker. Look at the contrast in the areas above the chief's head and behind the bison.
Coinfrog I see the effect you are referring to thank you for the feedback. Would this indicate a relatively old cleaning or was it just lightly altered; could it be due to lighting in the shot? Just asking questions.
its pretty close to XF. you even have a partially split tail
a couple areas I look at on these for grading as you cant always go by photograde on them.
the sharpness of the feather tie and separation of feather 1 from the hair. rachis definition and braid clasp. the sharpness of the hair at the top of the head. the amount of tail remaining. for me these are all pointing to an XF coin
at $200 I thinks thats about full retail for an XF coin and if it was cleaned then the coin is overpriced
Could have been a slight cleaning but in my opinion it's market acceptable . I'm good with VF-35 nice clear date and mint ; Horn & tail look good . Some dealers might list this coin as an EF-40 .
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use