Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Getting Roman Coins Slabbed Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 7 / Views: 153Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
MetDet71's Avatar
United Kingdom
1583 Posts
 Posted Today  11H 29M ago Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Has anyone used a company in the UK for grading and slabbing their coins?
Reason for asking is I have a few nice coins that I am looking to sell and generally the coins that have been slabbed seem to fetch a good percentage more than not.
I have been looking at using NGC but wanted a bit of advice really before I fork out for the yearly subscription.
I currently have a fair few coins on a certain selling site but am thinking of taking them off, getting them graded etc., and then putting them either through auction or back onto a selling platform.
Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Met.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
tdziemia's Avatar
United States
8055 Posts
 Posted Today  5H 16M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you "done the research?"

That is, finding sales results on slabbed examples of exactly the coins you are talking about selling, then comparing to results for raw coins?


Pillar of the Community
mikev50's Avatar
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 20M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like ICG and NGC are the only ones--all the ancients I have are graded by NGC--good luck--
Pillar of the Community
Pertinax's Avatar
United Kingdom
2141 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia's suggestion is a good idea.

I would never buy a slabbed ancient coin - one needs to be able to see the edge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Victor's Avatar
United States
987 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 7M ago  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would never buy a slabbed ancient coin - one needs to be able to see the edge.


I would buy a slab either; or I would crack it open as soon as I got it...but, the people at NGC are very capable and would notice an edge seam.
Edited by Victor
Today 1H 43M ago
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have one slabbed ancient coin. I prefer my ancient coins raw so I can hold them. New ancient coin collectors might prefer graded coins to avoid fakes but they should buy from experienced honest dealers anyway.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
16999 Posts
 Posted Today  11M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There aren't really any TPGs in Britain at all; certainly none that are competent or recognized in slabbing ancients.

Of the two American companies, NGC is currently the leader in ancients; PCGS is still ambiguous in it's timetable for ancients grading, so if you've got your heart set on slabbification of ancients, then NGC is the only boat.

The question then becomes, "does being slabbed actually help?", in terms of selling an ancient coin online in Britain. Your small sample size does seem to indicate that yes, it does help, so there's that. On the negative side is of course the time, money, and hassle of shipping the coins off to America and waiting who knows how many months for the slabbed coins to be sent back to you.

I would say that if your time and/or the money is important and significant (i.e. you need the money from the sale for specific and immediate reasons) then slabbing isn't worth the time and initial expense. But if you can afford to wait, then why not? It seems to be the more profitable end-result.

I should note that I personally am saying this while in the "wouldn't buy a slabbed ancient" camp, except perhaps to own one NGC ancients slab just for the sake of the slab, rather than the coin (I own about a dozen slabbed coins, but they really form my "slab collection" and not part of my "coin collection"). If I did buy an ancient coin I really wanted and it happened to be slabbed, I too would probably crack it out; for me, being "in a slab" would actually add a slight negative value, as I would need to go to the trouble of carefully cracking it.

Which really tells me that there are actually two markets for "slabbed ancient coins" and "unslabbed ancient coins", quite distinctly separate with very little overlap; most collectors of ancients will either want them all slabbed (a minority) or none of them slabbed (the majority). So while the slabbed ancient market might be smaller (and mainly US-based), that market is prepared to pay higher prices for the same coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
16999 Posts
 Posted Today  2M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A final factor you may wish to consider: there are certain kinds of ancient coins that are prohibited from importation into the US, by memoranda of understanding that US Customs has signed with the source countries of those coins. And you mailing coins off to a TPG in America would count as "importation", even if the intent is for the coins to be exported right back out again in short order. Greece, Italy, Bulgaria and Cyprus are noteworthy countries on that list. So there is a small but non-zero chance that your coins could simply be seized by US Customs and "repatriated" back to their country of origin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Replies: 7 / Views: 153Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Forums