Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Get Ready For The Zinkel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 81 / Views: 3,740Next Topic
Page: of 6
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196081 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2026  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sure wouldn't have a problem with that on the larger machines.
Indeed.

On second thought, it is probably easier for the industry to convert them to accept electronic payment, if they have not already.

I really have no idea. The only laundromat I have seen recently is the one in my son's dorm and those machines are free to use. And by free, I am sure it is included in the housing fee, which is so high I believe that is the least they could do.
Pillar of the Community
Vector Ze's Avatar
United States
641 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2026  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Vector Ze's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Vector Ze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't set foot in a laundramat in decades.
But, I would think that by now, even the smallest machines would cost over a $1 to run. I think the regular machines were already $1.25 by the late 1980s.
I would also expect them to commonly accept plastic, by now.
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20048 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2026  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stop the production of ALL circulating coinage, fully close all the branch mints and convert Philly into a collector only producer (and have the BEP take-up the unneeded space occupied by dead machines). Round all CASH transactions to the nearest $1 and keep electronic payments to the cent.

Our government has inflated our currency into dust and they're not stopping. Coins are becoming inconvenient, worthless slugs of metal in commerce. We spend hundreds of billions $$$ a year handling, producing and transporting heavy, metal slugs of little value. There are thousands of diesel spewing semi's and Brinks trucks carting around slugs of metal - every single day 24/7/365 scattered across America. Add to that all the human hours spent dealing and handling coins - they no longer make economic or common sense.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Edited by BadThad
09/30/2026 8:14 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196081 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stop the production of ALL circulating coinage, fully close all the branch mints and convert Philly into a collector only producer (and have the BEP take-up the unneeded space occupied by dead machines). Round all CASH transactions to the nearest $1 and keep electronic payments to the cent.
That is a bold idea!

Ten years ago I would have died on that hill, but today, meh.

Do it!
Bedrock of the Community
BadThad's Avatar
United States
20048 Posts
 Posted Today  57M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ten years ago I would have died on that hill, but today, meh.


Yeah, me too! Inflation has ruined coinage. I can't even bribe my grandkids with any less than $1.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ INVENTOR
https://verdi.care/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
mysilveryears's Avatar
United States
1909 Posts
 Posted Today  27M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These notions would ruin coin collecting as we know it.
No more kids searching their allowance and mom's grocery change
and buying Whitman folders to hold their cherished treasures.
No more coin roll hunting for that odd silver quarter or half that still shows up.
Coin shows would fade away. Same with your favorite local shop.
Grey sheet would become obsolete, and Red Books would be nostalgic relics of a bygone era.
Old collections would be dumped on ebay for bullion value.
The only survivors of this numismatic apocalypse would be those few
who prefer foreign coins to the boring and overpriced disgorgements of the U.S. mint.
I hope this day never comes, but I feel like I am whistling into a gale.
  Replies: 81 / Views: 3,740Next Topic
Page: of 6

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums