Obverse: Bust of Liberty (?) UN ARGENTINO 9D os FINO LIBERTAD 5 PESOS Reverse: Rotates from left to right NOT top to bottom Eagle with shield, olive branch and 3 arrows UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 5D
There is no date and I am suspecting it is some token, but the dual denominations and countries baffle me.
It seems pretty well worn and the oxidation on the front seems almost black in color.
Any information (or good guesses) are welcome. Thanks, JT
It is not, as you correctly surmised, a coin, though it's design is based on the designs of Argentine and American gold coins. Nor is it a "token" in the usual sense of a practical monetary substitute. I presume it's a card game counter or piece of play money; the different designs on both sides allow the manufacturer to sell it in both places, while at the same time helping ensure no-one mistakes it for a genuine gold coin (though the weight would also have been much too light). It would probably have originally been gilded.
I have a similar item in my collection from Europe, a "double-headed, dual-nationality" piece with Queen Victoria of Britain on one side and Emperor Napoleon III of France on the other.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
does anyone have any information on this coin, I have the same coin/ token also. I have no idea, but do not think it was to a game like posted above. any help would be great. thanks
All I can add is it is NOT listed in Krause as any official coin. The obverse {the exact one} of the above always faces left, and is never matched with upspread wings.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use