Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

denkan's Last 20 Posts

1794 $1 Flowing Hair Dollar
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/28/2022  4:18 pm
Looks like copper? Guessing 64 in the grade, SP if copper?
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coin Grading

1836 $1 Gobrecht Dollar Original Judd-60 Die State B Die Alignment I
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/06/2022  3:09 pm
Wow NS, just wow!

I've been a reader on this forum for awhile and seen alot of your posts over the years and it is really impressing to see some of your latest additions to your collection!

What is also pleasing to see is that even though you you've "stepped up your game" (understatement ) you still buy coins the same way as some of us other collectors. From poor sellers photos and at "resonable" prices.

You live the numismatic life I wish I had

1901-O Barber Dime GTG
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/06/2022  12:23 pm
AU53

1899 2.5 Gold Dollar
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/06/2022  11:06 am
Hi,

I would like your opinion on this coin since I have close to no experience in American goldcoins

It has prooflike character but I donīt know if a TPG would put that on the slab. There is also a small scratch above Libertys head that might cause a details grade. The photos makes it look worse than it is. A tough coin to photograf...

/denkan

1898 O Barber Quarter. Grade Opinion
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/22/2022  4:59 pm
Wow, the reverse of the 1898 is fantastic! IMO there is no circulated coin that can compare to a Barber quarter with a fully black circulation cameo.
That is a coin I happily pay a big premium for although I prefer them in VF.

G6 sounds about right for this one.

Nice pick up!

/denkan

1892 Barber Half Dollar. Interesting Piece, Probably Counterfeit.
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/26/2022  02:22 am

Quote:

My only pause is the diameter. What are you using to measure? Do you have another XF-AU half to compare?

Well I have a digital measure instrument that unfortunately have no batteries but you can make a manual read somewhat accurate. Also put it behind a 1976 proof halfdollar wich shows about 1mm difference.

If the coin was blowtorched outside of the mint/"castingstudio" I asume the chin is were the torched spent the most time. Shouldn't the details on the reverse be more damaged also? The UNUM ribbon is on the opposite side and you can se that the fields show abit more bubbling but with that heat melting away the chin I thought the the incused letters should also melt?
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/25/2022  06:24 am
Additional photos:

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/24/2022  4:17 pm

Quote:
Is it bent or warped?

No it is flat.

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/24/2022  3:05 pm

Quote:
Lots of surface bubbling.

Yes. I don't know much about counterfeiting/casting or defect planchets (this does however not look like any of the photos I've seen googleing). But with all the bubbling going on somehow all the letters seems to be intact wich make me think the coin was struck? I might be wrong in my "statement" so don't be shy correcting me
But would appriciate if you corrected me with a little information so that I can learn

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/24/2022  10:59 am
What's your thought on this piece?
weight: 12.45g
diameter: about 31.5-32mm ( little over 1mm off)

I bought this thinking it would most likley be a counterfeit rather than a defect plachet or PMD. But I got curious because of the lettering and date and other details looking very authentic compared to other fakes that I have seen photos of.

It sounds like silver but I don't have any equipment to a real test of the metal.

Regardless of authentic or not, do you think that the missing chin is PMD or from minting/casting?

Looking forward to your opinion.

/denkan

Indian Cent Acetone Problem (1891)
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/28/2022  12:08 pm
Here are some pictures.
Picture 3 and 4 is most representive for how the coin looks. Picture 5 and 6 show the flat greywhite halo around the letters and in the shield.

Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coins

Indian Cent Acetone Problem (1891)
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/28/2022  11:28 am
Hi,

I made a mistake and was too quick to put a coin in acetone instead if inspecting the coin more....

I don't have pictures right now but it is an AU coin dark brown with some blue in it and a little red showing in some places. Maybe it is AT, I don't know.

The problem is that there was "alot" of gunk around the devices that didn't come off but instead went from black to grey/white wich now makes the letters look awful.

I don't want to try and scrape the gunk off since it's likely I'll scratch the coin.

Would it help to put the coin in acetone again for a longer time? I hade the coin in for about 20 min.

Any other ideas?

/denkan

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year to Title. Titles are Important! ***

1834 Capped Bust 50c. You Vs. NGC
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2022  4:55 pm
What a fantastic looking coin!
Not my area but I guess AU58*

1964-D Quarter, Gradeopinion And Possible RPM?
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/23/2022  05:43 am
Thank you! Maybe I should have been able to figure that out....
Now when I look at the first close-up photo of the mintmark I see a slight doubling on lower left D in DOLLAR. Is that the proof of it beeing an MD or if you are experienced could you tell by just looking at the mm that it is an MD?

Forum: US Modern Coin Grading

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2022  5:23 pm
What is MD?
Mint damage?

Edit, is it mid diestage?

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2022  10:18 am
Yes it is a very thin scratch on the left obverse.
Maybe from another coin or something. It's not deep at all or bright so it's not a staplescratch.

It has the same texture as I've sen on morgan dollars that's been in a bag. Although it is quite long.

denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2022  08:46 am
Hi,

Whould like som help and opinions from all of you Washington experts on this forum

I have a 1964-D quarter that under a loupe the D looks to be repunched but I don't think it looks like the varieties on Varietyvista.RPM-004 D/D South is the closest one. The obverse has some diecracks on top of the hair and bottom of the neck to the hair. but the RPM-004 don't seem to have those diagnostics.

Maybe it's not a RPM but some small amount of grease on the left part of the D that made it so thin but you can still se the base?

Thank you all for your opinion.

/denkan

1917-D OBV WLH. Should I Send To TPG?
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2022  2:46 pm

Quote:
but splitting hairs on the grade doesn't matter much here.

It's not that I thinking this would straightgrade but more for my own education on grading WLH's. My first thought was that it had details and luster for AU58 but since I'm new to WLH I wouldn't be suprised if I was wrong and it would be a 53/55.

Well since some of you think this might even grade UNC-Details I will for sure put this in my next submission. Even at AU-Details it think it should be profitable to have this in a TPG-slab in the future when the time comes to sell. If it comes back harshly-cleaned I don't know what the potential value might be...

Rather have it "bodybagged" than a future buyer feeling scammed for raw "unjustice" photos.

1917-D OBV WLH. Should I Send To TPG?
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2022  09:51 am
Hi,

Just got this coin and it is my first WLH-coin.
The coin looks pretty good with nice details and underlying luster under the toning.
However on the obverse right field the luster is interrupted and in one angle wich is hard to capture on photo there is alot of vertical lines from an old cleaning.

I've seen the auctionresults on PCGS and AU-Details-CLEANED coins seem to sell somewhere around $200-400. So I'm thinking of maybe putting this coin into my next submission.
In the future I will upgrade this one for a straightgrade AU/MS WLH.

Do you think it will just get graded cleaned or harshy cleaned or even tooled?

Also, if the coin wasn't cleaned, at what numerical grade would you grade it?

Last photo of the obverse kind of shows the cleaned flield.

/denkan

New Acquisition: 1892 Barber Quarter NGC MS66+ CAC
denkan
Valued Member
Sweden
125 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/01/2021  3:09 pm
Fantastic coin Grape! Would love to have a coin like that in my collection some day.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: