Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver101's Last 20 Posts

1921 Canada One Cent Found In Penny Rolls?
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/03/2023  06:44 am
Agreed - I would put that in the AVF/VF range.
Forum: Canadian Coin Grading

1870 Victoria Quarter Grading
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/02/2023  10:10 am
I'm with EF45 cleaned. Too bad, it's a very nice coin otherwise.

1917 Large Cent Up For Grading
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/01/2023  12:02 pm
F15 reverse, VG10 obverse?

What If We Ignored Grading Altogether?
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/29/2023  9:24 pm
@NumismaticsFTW - it actually sold for a price that was decent even given the mis-grade. I guess I've 'bought the holder' once or twice but only early on when I was still figuring this stuff out.

Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/29/2023  6:15 pm
I agree in principle about Heritage but they, as are all auction houses, are weirdly uncritical about mis-grades. I have an 1873H Newfoundland 5c that I bought at a heritage auction. It's graded VF35 at PCGS. In truth, though, it's about an F15 or a VF20 on a good day*. I get the caveat emptor thing but it's always seemed to me that it would not kill the auctioneers to comment on something like that! Hugh Powell always tells you if a coin is accurately graded or not.

*it's a rare coin and the price was low so I didn't get ripped off regardless!

Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/29/2023  5:18 pm
I'm sure you're right. But would you bid on a coin that you knew had been graded but, instead of knowing the grade, had nothing but some high quality photos to go by?

Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/29/2023  5:01 pm
Many of the debates about grading and grading companies have ended with the wise words "buy the coin, not the holder". What if auction houses like TCNC or Heritage stopped listing the grades of coins that were up for auction? If all you had was some high resolution photos then you would be in a position to do just that.

Thoughts?

1894 NFLD 20c OBV #1.
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/27/2023  10:48 am
Follow up - in hand, it's definitely an AU55. Tons of mint frost and the details are about as shown in the photos. The surfaces do not support MS, two little scratches, neither is visible without magnification but they don't look like bag marks to me. Also, enough tiny abrasions on the highest points that it's clear this thing has spent some time in a few pockets before it went into deep storage somewhere.

1919 Newfoundland Ten Cent
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2023  07:37 am
Just coming back to this and reconsidering my previous comments. I had a surprisingly long conversation with someone who knows their stuff about Geo V's moustache. His take was that if the tip of the moustache is visible and retains (or had to start with) all of the detail in the original die, then you're probably looking at AU58 or mint state. The bottom of the hairline at the nape of his neck is also an indicator. The only thing that gives pause is the second from the left pair of jewels in the band of the crown which are a little smudgy. That might indicate wear but could also be the one bit of the strike that did not go so well.

Bottom line: this is probably MS.

1957 PL Quarter Grade?
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2023  9:13 pm
I was at MS-63 - the chatter on Elizabeth's cheek brings it down a little. But then I was wondering whether this is a heavy cameo or something like that?

One Penny 1857 CCCS Graded
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/21/2023  7:10 pm
EF for sure. Very nice.

20 Cent 1899 Hooked Newfoundland For Grading
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/21/2023  07:01 am
Love the Newfoundland coins - a nice, defined set with some intriguing rarities. You might also have a look at the Coins and Canada site: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/index.php

In terms of the coins you've posted here, agreed VG details. The hooked 9s is a rare-ish coin; PCGS has graded 14 of them and none of them are mint state.

1900 Canada One Cent .
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/20/2023  2:54 pm
I'm also closer to 20 than 30. But 25 seems like a reasonable compromise.

1907 5 Cent - What Do You Think This Would Grade?
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  05:58 am
VF20 - AU: that's quite a spread! I confess I find the Ed VIII obverse to be a difficult one. My impression is that full strikes are relatively rare and so you're always having to make a call of wear vs weak strike. I do tend to agree that the surfaces on this guy are suspect - some PVC damage and/or a previous poorly executed dipping. For me, the AU call is all about the surfaces so I would be reluctant to go that high. Having said that, the reverse is definitely up there and that implies that the mushy obverse might be due to a poor strike rather than wear.

I'll settle at EF-45 details.

1907 5 Cent - What Do You Think This Would Grade?
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/18/2023  7:24 pm
I believe verdigris is primarily a thing that happens on copper, no? I might go a little higher than VF20...thinking 25 or 30.... The reverse is particularly nice.

1894 NFLD 20c OBV #1.
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/18/2023  06:28 am
It's graded AU55. My take is that, based on the detail in the braid and other areas, it's a definite AU - there is very little wear on this coin and the toning is clearly original. I won't know what sort of mint lustre is left until I have the thing in hand. So it might end up being a 50 or something like that.

Interestingly, the graders did not distinguish whether it's Obs 1 or 2; my take is that it's obv 1, which is the more common of the two. @Deductable, would you agree with that?

1894 NFLD 20c OBV #1.
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/15/2023  5:47 pm
Here's a recent purchase (still in a FEDEX envelope so I haven't looked at it in hand). Bit of a scratch on the reverse but otherwise solid. Original toning I would say. Graded by NGC but curious to hear what you all think.

1875 5 Cent - You Vs PCGS
Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  5:43 pm
I would not have been able to pass that one up, I feel like I'm seeing the future of coin collecting. We have the delightful lowball area and now this!

Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  10:49 am
I tend to agree...having a coin in a holder with a wildly inaccurate ticket is a dubious honour!

Silver101
Pillar of the Community
Canada
914 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/12/2023  06:38 am
I love the Saskatoon photo series...some serious scholarship there. Though there's room for caution in that all of those grades are PCGS. As we seem to keep learning, PCGS has its strengths, but they've also got a few blind spots.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: