Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

mb560600's Last 20 Posts

2019 Washington Quarter, Some Kind Of Error Or Just Damage?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/12/2023  09:26 am
The devices along the perimeter on the reverse are partially or completely missing--including GUAM, EPU and WAR IN THE PACIFIC.
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

Happy New Year Errors Find
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/31/2022  11:18 pm
Happy New Year Silviosi! And to everyone in the Community!!

2005 D One Cent Odd Circle Imprinted On Obverse, Is This Just PMD?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  9:26 pm
The coin was likely the end coin in a roll. The machines that wrap the coins crimp the ends, which can cause such damage.

2021-P 25c Washington Crossing The Delaware Error?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  6:53 pm
Thanks, Spence, JImmy and Coinfrog. Never seen such on a 2021 CTD quarter before.
Checking error-ref.com, it appears the quarter exhibits a form of die deterioration error called "Orange Peel Texture."

2021-P 25c Washington Crossing The Delaware Error?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  4:50 pm
This quarter has a mottled or uneven surface on portions of the upper field on the reverse. It appears on about 25% of the coin above EPU, through most of USA, extending down through a portion of the sabre and into the River. I've seen nothing like this on other of the 2021 Delaware quarters. Could this be due to a defective planchet?

2022 Maya Angelou Very Doubled Earring
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/05/2022  09:49 am
Wow! Interesting find Cointree. If this is a doubled die, it is a new one. Hope the experts can weigh in on whether this is a doubled die or something else.

2022 P Quarter, Rainbow Toning
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/04/2022  08:55 am
There are collectors who seek out such coins to add to their collections. If you like it, keep it for your collection. If not, consider selling it on EBay. Check out other toned coin listings there to get an idea as to value.

2004-D LMC With Rim To Rim Crack On Obverse
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/26/2022  08:44 am

Quote:
Hmmm....
Does a "crack" continue down both edges in line with the one on the obverse?

Yes, Petespockets55. Actually, there are two small cracks emanating from the edges at both the K-10 and the K-4 areas. And then each of these 2 cracks merge into one bisecting crack.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  9:17 pm
Petespockets55---yes, that is one crack that continues onto the side of the coin. There is at least one other crack north of that which continues onto the side of the coin-- as you can see in the photo below.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  8:30 pm
Thanks for confirming the RTR, Dearborn. And thanks for your response Merclover about not cleaning.
So. with the staining along the edges, could this actually be considered a pre-cud? Or is the staining just an anomaly?

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  5:46 pm
Here are edge photos of the shoulder, and the two areas of the rim where the die cracks begin. Any additional photos necessary?

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  5:11 pm
Thanks Petespockets55---you posted just seconds before I supplied the additional photos. I'll see if I can provide additional photos of the edges and the shoulder area.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  5:03 pm
Thanks Spence and Dearborn for weighing in. Additional photos appear to indicate that these are raised die cracks, not incuse scratches. Not sure what caused the staining and wonder if it is recommended to try to remove/restore.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  3:52 pm
Found this cent in pocket change and noticed the interesting die crack. I checked Cuds on Coins and there is no listing for a die crack such as this on the 2004-D LMC.
Would this be classified as a Bisecting Rim to Rim die crack?
Also, would you think it would be wise to attempt to remove the areas of dirt and stain on the obverse? If so, how?
Thanks for taking a look.

2944 Lincoln Penny DDO?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/17/2022  11:11 pm
I am looking forward to the posting of photos of the 2944 cent.

2017-P LSC/ Possible New DDO?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/04/2022  08:47 am
Thanks for the response datadragon. Very good information.

2017-P LSC/ Possible New DDO?
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/02/2022  10:00 pm
Coop, thanks for following up. Your response raises more questions.
The scenario you pose is based upon the assumption that there was a die polishing event that resulted in the alteration to the image of the Bowtie on this coin. What evidence can you point to on the coin that this is indeed a later stage die that merited a polishing and created an alteration of the device (the bowtie) at the Mint?
Also, you have not addressed the ERTY doubling in LIBERTY. Is this hub doubling, or the result of polishing?

1995 LMC With Doubling Of Lincoln's Beard, Lower Lip, Eye And Forehead
mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/02/2022  8:33 pm
Thanks Coop and Dearborn for your input.
Coop, could you elaborate further on the die polishing issue you mention?
Specifically, are you saying the coin on the right of the side-by-sides (the 1995 PCGS coin) has been weakened by die polishing? If so, you are saying the subject coin (on the left) is an earlier die stage coin, and that's why we see the detail on the eye as compared to the later die stage coin on the right?
If that's the case, what's the explanation for the doubled area on the lips and beard on the subject coin, which is an early die stage? That would have nothing to do with a die polishing, correct? (Later die stage coins arguably had this doubling removed, if I understand your explanation),
Dearborn, I utilized indirect lighting from all sides for the photography--but I'll see if I can post some better photos of the beard and lips area when I have an opportunity later.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/02/2022  07:58 am
Makecents, thanks for the images. I'm very familiar with this series of this LMC. But, looking at the side-by-sides you provided, to me it just confirms that there is doubling.
1)The beard---there is clearly a separation and spread in the beard South of the lips that juts out.
2)The lips--there is a spread outward that resembles the "hot lips" varieties that have been noteworthy for doubling on some years of the Roosevelt dimes.
3)The eye---there is an image of a lens East of the eye socket---arguably doubling--that's not evident on a "normal" coin.
4) The forehead--there is a spread of the profile East not seen on a "normal" coin.

mb560600
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/01/2022  11:38 pm
Hello CC--I need help identifying what is going on here.
The doubling that appears only on these particular areas of Lincoln's profile and the eye do not appear to be MD.
I've checked VV, Wexler and Coppercoins for such a DDO and found nothing listed.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: