Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

gerardmatt's Last 20 Posts

George III Guinea 1768: Real Or Not?
gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  4:33 pm
Some better images:

Forum: United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coins

gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  3:13 pm
Thanks for the responses. I am going to try to get a better scan done in a minute. To answer Spence's question the reeding is intact all the way round. The only thing I have noticed is that the lettering around the edge of the coin has bits missing at the top. For example the roman numerals of 'George III' have the tops of the i's missing. Is it possible somebody may have shaved gold off around the edge then reinstated the reedings, but why go to the trouble for half a gram of gold? I suppose the other alternative is that it is a copy of some kind?

gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  12:49 pm
Hi Jimmy. Thanks for your response. I have scanned the coin which might be better. Also cropped as suggested.

gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  12:15 pm
A couple more photos:

gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  12:11 pm
Dear members:

I could do with a little input. I have been buying/selling and collecting coins for a couple of years now and do a bit on e bay. I recently bought the pictured coin from what appears a reputable seller with good feedback for coins. However, when I weighed it it was over half a gram under weight and the imprint seems very fuzzy. I have researched this a bit and it seems this could happen from wear or people removing gold from the coin as opposed to counterfeiting. I would be grateful for any help with this as I do not want to open a dispute if the coin is genuine.

1918 Half Sovereign: No Mintmark?
gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/09/2021  4:54 pm
Thanks for the input. Very interesting to hear that there are potentially many fakes going around of this coin, even still made from gold. Makes you wonder how anything can be reliably authenticated in this day and age. Surely, however, if they were faking this coin they would have included the 'P' mintmark?

1918 Half Sovereign: No Mintmark?
gerardmatt
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/09/2021  3:05 pm

Hi members:

I am writing in connection with finding out how this coin exists as it is not supposed to according to records, and what it is likely to be worth to a collector. It was given to my friend by her grandad when she was born, around 35 years ago. I am pretty sure it is genuine as he was a coin collector.

I have carefully examined the coin, which definitely is a half sovereign and appears to have no mintmark in comparison with other photos of similar coins, which all have a small 'P' above the date. Based on what I have read there were only around 300 of these coins minted in Perth and dated 1918, apparently they are not known to have been minted anywhere else.

I would be grateful for any help you can give us in researching this.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: