Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dowhat's Last 20 Posts

Without Showing The Front(With Year) Penny
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/28/2023  07:23 am
The last time I posited a question without proving full obverse and reverse images, my posting was locked out for not following the rules.
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

1983 LMC With Unidentifiable Doubling Effect One The Reverse.
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/07/2023  3:00 pm
Back atcha Spence. Thanks.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/07/2023  2:51 pm
Thanks Coop for your reply. As I stated, I know it is not a DDR. What do you mean by a circulation? I do not understand. In your vast catalog you must have a similar example of this illusion somewhere. I just want to know what causes this effect in order to recognize it for what it is in the future and be able to call it something, as insignificant as it may be. There is a term for everything else,what is the term for this recurring anomaly.
If the locked thread is still accessible, you will see the same effect on a different coin.
Curiosity shall indeed kill the cat here I suppose.
Thanks.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/07/2023  1:55 pm
Let me start out by saying I apologize for seeming to be snippy or ignorant of the rules for posting. That was not my intention.
I was under the impression that questions regarding this aspect of numismatics did not "always" require a complete and full description of the specimen in question.
Having already eliminated the possibility of known examples of DDR, I was simply hoping to get a reasonable explanation for what I was seeing not being influenced by the particular coin in question.
MD was eliminated.
DDD was eliminated.
Split Plating doubling was eliminated.
Post strike damage elinated
Stiff die fill(grease) eliminated.
Before the previous post was locked, makescents offered at least an opinion as to what this was. Called it as an 80's nailed it as an 83. Perhaps he can elaborate on this thread.
If his hunch is correct concerning a sunken reaction in the center of the devices is plausible, how often would this be discernable in a given mintage of year or any other? He says it has never been fully explained to him, just conjecture.
Since it is required to identify the specific coin in question and provide full images for any question, I cuncur.

A decerning eye will notice that this is not the same coin in the locked post. It is another just like the original pulled from about a 150 83's.
Jeez ya'll, I'm just trying to learn here

What Type Of Doubling Am I Seeing Here?
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/06/2023  8:24 pm
Well of course I know the date and mint. I am just asking if this appears to be a doubled die or not to the trained eyes out there. I am just cautious here. There are know reverse varieties for this example in these locations. My worry is, that if it does not match the 2 listed for this date, it will just be considered as something other than true doubling as no exact examples are attributed. The details of the coin disregarded, do you see any possible doubling here?
1980's is correct.

What Type Of Doubling Am I Seeing Here?
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/06/2023  6:14 pm
I am holding off on full images and details for now. Just wondering if you saw this on a strike if it would make you look twice.
Is this hub doubling? A bounce? I have to rule out MD due to no "shelf-like" appearance and perhaps a slight widening of the devices.
It only occurs on the devices shown on the reverse side. Normal obverse.
What type of doubling is this. Even though the images may be poor, you see pretty much what I do.
Share your opinions please.

2018 LMC. Interesting Apparent Vice Job.
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/03/2023  02:30 am
Merclover, once again, your response is irrelevant.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/31/2022  4:06 pm
Maybe like someone changing the street signs in the middle of the night to misdirect others.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/31/2022  08:57 am
Looks like someone got creative on this one and squeezed it between a couple different coins. I can tell the reverse was squeezed using a Jefferson nickel reverse. Not sure about the obverse though.
Some people find entertainment in curious ways.

1943 LWC With Strong Class VI Reverse
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/18/2022  2:35 pm
Lots of good advice Coop. I went thru VV,Coppercoins, and Wexler before posting and narrowed down to about 3 or 4 possibilities. The clashes seem to reduce the choices here. Try as I mat, I could not pick up the cracks for conformation, scratches seem out of the question on this example with my eyes. I will put it away as a definite DDR class VI anyways. That DDO / DDR would be nice though. But I think makescents is on it.
Wish I could provide better images of that eyelid. It does appear as merely a dot above on the DDO-012. Not to be confused with additional anomaly slightly higher and east.
Thanks for your input.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/18/2022  1:41 pm

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/18/2022  10:00 am
Thanks for the feedback all. I think makecents makes sense here. I did suspect the clash at the throat but my old eyes could not quite make out those other markers to clearly. And that doubled eyelid for the DDO-012 is a small one compared to most other doubled eyelids. It had me wondering.
This was in one of the 3 rolls I picked up at my LCS. I usually pick up a few each time I go in for silver to add to the stack. Almost always find a variety or error amongst the lot.
Thanks again ya'll.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/18/2022  05:46 am
Thus one is being difficult to attribute. I have narrowed it down to a few possibilities one being VV DDR-13/ DDO-012. Die markers are scarce due to heavy wear. Maybe slight remnant of clash on obverse from throat to bowtie. Any opinions are appreciated.

Good Deal On Brittanias @ Jm Bullion
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/22/2022  6:32 pm
2023 Brittannias at JM Bullion. $25.80/ea. Just picked up 8 for free shipping. Total tax and shipping $221.02.
I could not find them under $30 or $31 elsewhere. About $5 over spot instead of $9. Worth checking out I think. I jumped on it.
If you go for the Britannias, Maples, Philhormonics, Krugerands, like I do, looks worth checking out.
Forum: Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

1936 LWC DDR Difficult To Attribute
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/20/2022  10:20 am
Pretty well convinced it is 1936P WDDR-001.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/19/2022  7:01 pm
Those dots are almost like figure 8's.

1968 Half Dollar Repunch Mint Mark Variety?
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/19/2022  6:36 pm
After attempting to post images and being successful, scroll down and select "Preview".
You will see what we see.
Brush up on your image skills by referring to suggestions available on this forum.
Many here are more than willing to assist you,but they gotta see what you see. As best you can.
Slow down a bit and get the hang of it. Most of these folks ain't goin' nowhere.

1963 D Lincoln Memorial DDO
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/19/2022  6:19 pm
. I just went thru some 63's and I think you may have come upon one of those eyebrow varieties. I found none.
Check out your other resources and whittle it down.
I usually put stuff like this in the question mark tube and come back another day and keep on looking.
When another time day comes, you should pick up on
why it went in that ? tube, as you have learned a bit more since then and continued to move forward.
Patience is a virtue in this endeavor.

1974 D Lincoln Memorial Cent 9 & 7 Error At First Glance Thought It Was A 1914 D
Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/19/2022  6:03 pm
Looks like a smashed up 74.
When would you ever expect to see a Memorial Reverse on a 1914 anything?
Keep on truckin'.

Dowhat
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/19/2022  5:21 pm
Thanks Stoneman. I know this one is there somewhere yet the condition and time have obliterated most if not all of the markers. I convince myself I notice some but this has alot going on over time.
I will concentrate on that "U" and see where it takes me then come back.
The condition is very disappointing knowing the variety is there and thank you for the confirmation. The strong extra thickness on the outer devices to me, makes it obvious. Those dots are about fully doubled. That narrows it down. Check out that lower "L" and both "U's" in PLURIBUS. Both lower "U's" in UNUM. Those fat outer wheat stalks. The wheat stems,left and right(wider than normal), and the lower part of "E" in AMERCA.
I will put it away for now for another day.
To bad when you find a nice doubled die it is all beat up.
Thanks again.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: