Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Msjudochop's Last 20 Posts

1893-S Morgan Silver Dollar - Real 1893 But The S Is Added.
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/17/2022  2:47 pm
Yeeeaaah I probably shouldn't have gone straight for the knife. Kinda wishing I could take that one back. Oh well. I did spend some time researching the dies of the 1893-P and am 100% sure it is a VAM 4. So I guess the best thing to
Do would be to send it into anac to get it authenticated. I feel it's going to be a tough coin to sell with the shady history and mm area damage.
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coin Grading

Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/17/2022  12:43 pm

Quote:
I'm assuming the solvent worked but how did you get so much damage to the MM area ?

Well, the only real tool I had available was an xacto knife. It took a bit of scrapping to dislodge the S and it seemed to have an area around the mm that was added. like a flat base. I'm assuming to match the coins surface and help the mm stick. I'm also thinking they "textured" the original surface to help form the bond.

Anyway, now I'm starting to question the date. I would hate to sell this and have that be altered as well. Should I soak the date in acetone? Does the 1893-P have any identifying die markers to help authenticate it being a true 1893-P?

Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/17/2022  12:43 am
The solvent worked but not without a little scrapping. Unfortunately, it left the area of the mm pretty scratched up. Perhaps someone will still be interested in purchasing it. after inspecting the rest of the coin more thoroughly I did notice that it has doubling on the right stars. VAM world labels it as a VAM 4. I guess that would be worth noting to assure that it is indeed an 1893-P. It's just had a rough life lol.

Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/16/2022  10:27 pm
Fortunately, I am not out any money with this coin. It was a part of my grandfathers collection I inherited.

When you mention the diagnostic die mark is that for a 1893-P? I know the die mark for the 1893-S is not there. That was one of the first things my local coin dealer checked.

Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/16/2022  7:25 pm
So this coin has been to PCGS and came back in the dreaded body bag. It was certified as an altered 1893 (s added) So what to do with it? Is there a jeweler that will remove the S for me? I would like to sell it and the 1893 isn't exactly without value. did the schmo that altered it completely ruin it?

Help With Grading OK This One 1894-P Morgan Silver Dollar
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/13/2022  09:58 am
I'm guessing this Morgan has been polished. It has no luster left but shiny as could be.

Should this one go to anac? Or PCGS? Or straight to eBay?

1895-S Morgan Dollar VAM Horizontal S Grade?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/02/2022  9:24 pm
I have here an 1895-s Morgan. It has a very obvious VAM of the horizontal S (VAM 3? Or 4?) what would the grade be for this coin? Is it worth encapsulating to increase value for selling?

1903 Indian Head Penny - Is This Real? What Grade?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/25/2022  12:34 pm
I've run into several fake Indian head penny's so far in my inherited collection. Example being the huge let down of a fake 1877. *sniff sniff*

This 1903 seems to be in great shape. It's bright, appears uncirculated.maybe cleaned though? Can anyone tell anything about this coin? As far as fake or real? And if so is it a proof? What would be its grade?

Thanks for any help.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

1921-P Walking Liberty Grade? Should I Slab?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  10:33 pm
So I can't tell if this one has been cleaned or not. If it has the hairlines are not as easy to see as on the barber dimes.

I do need help with grade of y'all don't mind. And should I have it slabbed?

Grading Help For 1913 S Var. 2 Buffalo Nickle
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/22/2022  04:17 am
So it's definitely worn but would it still be worthy of a slab?

1896-S Barber Dime. Grading Help?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/22/2022  03:55 am
Matthew,

No., unfortunately he seemed to have never gotten a 1895 o. Unless it was sold prior to me. He was born in 1917. He was obsessed with coin collecting. The man's collection was massive. After his death in 1992 the collection was split 3 ways between my mom; her brother and sister. I remember going through my moms third with her. We spent the better part of a day looking through penny and Roosevelt dimes. My mom threw in the towel and had an appraiser come. I believe he bought them all for $3000. Who knows for sure what all was in there.

My plan is to sell coins here and there when we are in need. But try to sit on them for awhile for the values to increase. I have sent in a dozen rare Morgan's to PCGS. All but 2 have come back detailed haha.

1913 Buffalo Nickel Error?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  11:13 pm
What about the two tone coloration on the observe?
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins

1913 Buffalo Nickel Error?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  9:28 pm
So this nickel has doubling on the date and what looks like some doubling on the observe as well. What do you guys think?

1889 O Morgan - Grading Help
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  3:22 pm
I just realized I have this coin mislabeled. It's not an 1889 but a 1899

1901 Morgan. Help Determining A Grade
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  3:18 pm
I'm debating on sending it off to be graded
Would love to know what you guys think it might come back as?

1901 S Barber Dime Grading
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  3:02 pm
Here is the 1901 S Barber Dime.

1896-S Barber Dime. Grading Help?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  2:52 pm
Spence,

Oh for sure. I have heard not to ever clean a coin even before I inherited this collection. It baffles me that my aunt did know not to clean them. She was informed enough to know and subsequently clean every single key date coin. If the coin was worth over $100 she cleaned it. It's enough to make me feel sick. But it's the past and she was kind enough to give them to me. I can't complain too much I guess.

Matthew - ok I'll post the 1901 s next. That may be the one with the s/s. I have two that look to be a/s

I sold the 1895 on eBay a few weeks ago. That one was so polished the first buyer returned it. Next buyer seemed happy with it. He did get it for $482 and the coin was au/unc

I also sold my 1903s the other day for $300

1897 O Barber Dime Grade?
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  12:01 pm
Here is the 1897 S

1889 O Morgan - Grading Help
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  11:53 am
What grade would you guys think thus would get? I'm feeling an ms61 or maybe 62?

1892-S Morgan Silver Dollar - Another Suspicious Coin Of Mine.
Msjudochop
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/18/2022  11:58 pm
Well that's exactly what my 1893-s ended up being. It was a 1893-P with an added S. I'mádebating on taking it to a jeweler to have the mint mark removed.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: