Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

marcpasquin's Last 20 Posts

1995 Australian Walzing Mathilda $1 Coin In Circulation
marcpasquin
Australia
2 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  1:00 pm
A case of a collector coin which was not meant to be circulating: A while ago, I found this 1995 $1 Waltzing Matilda (Canberra mintmark) coin in my change despite the coin being (in theory) a coin only released carded.

I guess someone might have gotten this as a gift and decided "Screw it, I'm buying something with it".

When I posted it on another forum however, a number of people said they also found this coin in their change so someone speculated that "surplus" coins (i.e. those leftover after other were carded) might have simply being released as circulating coins.

Anyone have any thoughts about this ?

Forum: Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

Bronze 1975 Png 20 Toea Coin
marcpasquin
Australia
2 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  12:47 pm
I was noodling through a 10kg lot of world coins and found 2 1975 PNG 20 Toea coins.

The one to the right is the usual silvery colour while the one to the left is uniformly bronze coloured (obverse, reverse and rim). I am 99.9% sure that the bronze is *not* a case of being minted on a wrong planchet but simply a case of the outer layer having being stripped.

What I'm wondering though is this: What would be required to strip *all* of the outer layer without damaging the inside ?

Forum: Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: