Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Are The 2022 Quarters Lighter Than Usual?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Replies: 17 / Views: 19,761Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list
The best thing to do is to weigh them. Quarter blanks punched from dime stock is a possibility.
Pillar of the Community
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list
I just weighed one and it weighs 5.69 gms.

The standard is 5.67 gms plus or minus 0.19 gms for a clad quarter, so it is within tolerance.
(Silver quarters weigh 6.25 gms.)
Edited by fplagge
04/13/2022 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1373 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list
Their buying power is less than last year; if that means anything
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4622 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list
Changing the weight would require a change to the law. The laws for the designs did not change the weight.
-----Burton
50+ year / Life / Emeritus ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, EveryCountry (online) coin club
Owned by three cats and a wife of 40+ years (joined 1983)

Author: 3rd Edition of the Sample Slabs book, https://www.sampleslabs.info/
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
107571 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list
changing the weight would cause issues with vending machines. when I crack out my new mint set I just got, I'll weigh each coin - maybe this weekend - right after I replace all 4 of the shock absorbers on my 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Extended cab short box with an 8.1L engine and Allison tranny (quietly hoping that the still stock shock bolts aren't frozen...)
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list

Quote:
I just weighed one and it weighs 5.69 gms.


Quote:
Their buying power is less than last year; if that means anything
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list
Strange... I swear they DEFINITELY feel lighter/cheaper than before... Again, I don't have a scale fine enough to check.

Are-The-2022-Quarters-Lighter-Than-Usual?

Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196100 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list
Maybe try making a Popsicle® stick balance? It should work if the difference is significant. I know it does for 1982 Bronze/Zincoln testing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2285 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list

Quote:
changing the weight would cause issues with vending machines.


For some reason the weight was reduced 1% in 1999. I believe this was done because new quarters were getting so much thicker and heavier than the old quarters that vending operators wanted less variability.

I also believe the FED started removing very thin quarters from circulation back around 2008, probably for the same reason.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5293 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list

Quote:
Strange... I swear they DEFINITELY feel lighter/cheaper than before... Again, I don't have a scale fine enough to check.


Our perception of weight is simply not reliable enough. Not to sound silly, but the question can be answered very simply with a good scale, or if you are satisfied with a comparison, the popsicle balance can compare it with other quarters.

Scales are available for next to nothing, or any coin shop or jeweler would have one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17884 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list
Unless they have had a lot of practice most people can't consistently differentiate a weight difference of less than 5 grams. With a lot of practice you can get that down to about 1 gram.
New Member
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quantonica to your friends list
They do lack the detail previous years had , that's what I noticed first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 54M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list

Quote:
For some reason the weight was reduced 1% in 1999. I believe this was done because new quarters were getting so much thicker and heavier than the old quarters that vending operators wanted less variability.


@cladking I also have this information but have been unable to verify my source. Do you have a source?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2285 Posts
 Posted Today  27M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list

Quote:
@cladking I also have this information but have been unable to verify my source. Do you have a source?


I think I read the story in Coin World or Numismatic News back in 1999. I never actually checked the weight to confirm it but at that time there was a large discrepancy between the weight of 1965 and 1998 quarters. I believe it exceeded 1.5% but never checked this either.

I did assemble a few rolls of heavily worn quarters and noted the complete rolls "appeared" to be six or seven coins short because they were so much thinner.

Thin quarters just aren't seen much any longer. I believe they were sorted out in '08. The coins don't really wear much any longer as they are eroded away by collisions with machines. They are scratched more than worn away by rubbing.

I used to add coins to my most heavily worn set of clad quarters very frequently but it's been many years since a single coin has been added. Once in a while I see one that's very worn and not too banged up but when I compare it to the one in the set it is much less worn and far more banged up.

The mint does a fairly good job of making new coin the same thickness but some BU rolls like the '74 easily fit in the plastic tubes and other dates like the '88-D (IMS) won't even hold "38" coins. Some years are thicker and some years they have trouble with what they call "finning" where the rims squeeze between the collar and die creating a very thick coin. Some dates like the '84-P have very shallow rims and never fin but then the coins quickly acquire marking because the rim is too low to protect it. I haven't seen a nice '84-P in circulation since the mid-'90's; they're usually a mess even before they get to AU-/XF+.

The article did not speculate on why they reduced the thickness of the substrate, merely that they did. I believe it was to reduce the range of weight of circulating quarters by 1% once the '88 to '98 quarters were worn down a little. Instead of a 2.5% range it was reduced to a 1.5% range. Removing the worn coins merely affected the average rather than the range.

Data is hard to come by so much of it is deduction. I've talked to the FED but never seem to remember to ask all the important questions. Of course some of the people at the FED have narrow expertise so can't answer every question anyway. They are much more forthcoming than commercial interests who treat you like you're trying to case the joint.

This all occurred back during a period that the mint was finally informing the hobby about what they had been doing during all those years that nobody cared what they were doing. No one collected coins or cared about their quality or distribution from '65 top '98 so the mint wasn't talking. They had only recently admitted that mint set coins were different than the circulating coins because they were better made with new dies. It was also the year they discontinued the souvenir mint set program without ever telling anyone mintages had crashed to almost nothing at all.

I expected all these revelations to spark modern coin collecting but instead it propelled the states quarters through the roof. They were so popular mintages became astronomical!!! But nobody noticed there weren't many nice looking '84-P quarters in any grade.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
Today 24M ago
Pillar of the Community
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted Today  11M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list

Quote:

I think I read the story in Coin World or Numismatic News back in 1999.


If you remember any more about the story that would be helpful for a key word search, let me know. I want to try to find it! This narrows my avenues a bit! Thanks!

It doesn't really matter for any concerns I saw raised earlier in the thread, since 1% thickness difference will not take it outside of tolerance...I just would like to track down the information!
Page 2 of 2   Replies: 17 / Views: 19,761Next Topic Page 2 of 2
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Forums