| Author |
Replies: 48 / Views: 2,608 |
|
|
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Quote: I have but one rather miserable example... A bit 'grotty' I'm afraid . Better than anything I have, which is nothing. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
I just upgraded my "eyes to heavens" campgate and what is neat is that it is a coin that I sold 13 years aga and always regretted it a bit. I saw it for sale today and quickly bought it.  Constantine I A.D. 328-9 19mm 2.8g CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; diademed head, looking up to Heavens. PROVIDEN-TIAE AVG; campgate with two turrets and star above. In exergue SMK delta dot RIC VII Cyzicus 57 I also recently added this example from Rome; which has a workshop that is not listed in RIC, though several are known.  Constantine I A.D. 318- 319 19mm 3.4g CONST-ANTINVS AVG; cuirassed bust right wearing laureate helmet. VIRTVS AVGG; campgate with no doors and three turrets; across fields P-R In ex. RP RIC VII Rome 166
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Excellent additions! 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
Quote: it is a coin that I sold 13 years aga and always regretted it a bit. I saw it for sale today and quickly bought it Excellent recovery, Victor! That is a really fine coin - I understand the regrets on selling it and the joy of reacquiring it.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5010 Posts |
Really dig that eyes to heaven campgate, sharp as can be!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
I just got another Valentinian III campgate  Valentinian III A.D. 425-435 14mm 1.1g D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG; pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. VOT PVB; campgate with no doors and two turrets, T above. In ex. RM RIC X Rome 2124
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Quote: I just got another Valentinian III campgate Fantastic! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5010 Posts |
That is a very nice later campgate Victor!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
Quote: That is a very nice later campgate Victor! Yes, it is a great example, since you can actually read the legends.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts |
Edited by mikev50 09/12/2026 10:09 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
Here's my example of the same Licinius II from Heraclea and it is also - ex-Peter Weiss  Licinius II A.D. 317 18mm 3.0g D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C; laureate, draped, globe and sceptre in left hand, mappa in right hand. PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; campgate with three turrets and no doors. in ex. MHT delata RIC VII Heraclea 19 Peter Weiss wrote an article about how the vision of Constantine prior to the Battle of the Milvian Bridge which culminated in the death of Maxentius might have been a solar halo called a sun dog. It is a good article if you have not read it- "The Vision of Constantine." Journal of Roman Archaeology 16 (2003) : 237-59.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
Here's my example  Constantine I A.D. 326- 327 AE nummus 18x20mm 2.7g CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; Laureate head right. PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; campgate with two turrets, star between them. In ex. dot SMK delta dot RIC VII Cyzicus 44
|
|
Pillar of the Community
  United States
993 Posts |
I was browsing through my campgates and saw this coin that I had totally forgotten about. It is a very rare example. RIC rated it r5, meaning they only saw 1 example, but this one also has an unlisted workshop. What is really neat though, is that Constantine II has a spear over his shoulder. This coin was struck A.D. 318- 319 and Constantine Jr was born in A.D. 316, so he is only 2 or 3 years old...and they gave him a spear!  Constantine II A.D. 318- 319 AE nummus 19mm 2.6g CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C; Laureate and draped bust left with spear over right shoulder. VIRTVS AVGG; campgate with three turrets and no doors; P-R across fields. in ex. RT RIC VII Rome 174
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Nice examples! 
|
|
|
Replies: 48 / Views: 2,608 |
|