| Author |
Replies: 16 / Views: 587 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3743 Posts |
The double eagles are beautiful coins. They also represented a tremendous amount of wealth in those days. Twenty dollars in 1856 is equal to $788 in buying power today. To answer your question, I can't recall seeing any truly prooflike double eagles from the Civil War era or earlier, but others may be able to give a better answer. I know prooflike double eagles exist from the 1870s and later.
Your coin shows both bag marks and circulation contacts. Light circulation doesn't prevent a coin from grading UNC. On the obverse, the rim dings at 9 o'clock, the ding over the eye, marks in the field near the sixth star, and in the hair above the curls are bag marks. The scratches on the cheek, in the high points of the hair behind the ear, to the right pf the date, and the east-west scratches in the hair curl, and between the 8th and 9th stars look more like the coin being scraped across a counter in commerce. On the reverse, the mark SW from the mint mark and several of the field contacts look like bag marks, but the small scratches on the rim around 4 o'clock and the more obvious scratches above the denomination and NW of the mint mark look more like circulation contacts. There is some surface discoloration in the fields, as well. That said, I don't see evidence of actual wear from circulation.
I've seen TPGs grade similar coins as AU-58, which I don't think is correct. IMHO, this is an UNC coin, because of the lack of evident wear from circulation. The gold coins should get a little bit of grace because of the softness of the metal. To my eyes, there are a few too many contact marks to go above MS-62. For the grade, this coin has a solid strike and nice eye appeal. Nice coin!
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
I agree with lower MS. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
792 Posts |
Thanks @panzaldi and @jbuck for your grades. Thanks @fortcollins for your grade and your detailed analysis--that's my favorite part about posting coins on here--learning from what more experienced numismatists see. I also haven't seen PL looking early double eagles, although my "with motto" liberty double eagle is actually designed by PCGS as PL, and really looks the part.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79392 Posts |
I'm thinking MS-62.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1870 Posts |
Beautiful coin. My original reaction was AU-58, but it is probably in a 62 holder.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107673 Posts |
with the scratches, I'll go ms61
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5903 Posts |
Obverse look like a MS 61, reverse appears MS 63, so I agree with MS 62.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37201 Posts |
High end MS-62. Nice coin.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6443 Posts |
A really nice type 1 double eagle, solid mint state, but with enough contact marks and scrapes to preclude a 63 grade. Strong eye appeal and luster. I'd suggest MS-62+ and I expect CAC would approve at that grade.
Don't suppose this is a Central America salvage coin?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6443 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
792 Posts |
This was interesting for me. First of all, Jaobler came in at the end and nailed the "S.S. Central America" aspect of this coin's heritage. It spent over 100 years underwater, yet still looks pretty good. Second of all, it's always interesting comparing a PCGS or NGC grade with the consensus on this forum. Sometimes this forum is significantly harsher than the TPG companies, and I always respect that. To me, it shows a community of passionate nusmismatists who study each coin with discriminating eyes. Sometimes, the consensus here is more generous than PCGS, though, as is the case this time. PCGS calls this one MS(61). CAC gives it the green bean of approval. 
Edited by Adam590 09/29/2026 10:09 pm
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
Thank you for the update. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3743 Posts |
I would not have guessed this as a Central America coin. It looks much better than most salvage coins. And it certainly explains the apparent circulation contacts. With that reverse, 61 still seems a little harsh, but maybe the bean says the same thing. Nice coin, and certainly a connection with a tragic moment in history.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts |
I think 61 is a bit harsh, I saw a 62+ once with more scratches and worse eye appeal. This is an amazing looking coin!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
792 Posts |
Thanks so much @mrhakfbacon and @fortcollins. I chose it as my "no motto" liberty double eagle type coin and I'm glad that I did. Thanks @jaobler for sharing your PL example. My type coin for the "with motto" liberty double eagle is an 1895 one in an MS(61) PL holder--these coins look amazing with that contrast! Yours is definitely not an exception. What a treasure!
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 16 / Views: 587 |
Page 2 of 2
|