Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Daniel Carr Fantasy Coin/Token If You Have One.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 144 / Views: 10,566Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  06:19 am Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got interested in his stuff when I saw the overstrike Peace dollars.

Have a good day all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45154 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do look nice. I do not own one or will for that matter. Way high prices for a fantasy piece...IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you on the DC fantasy strikes. Here is one I posted a while back.

And here is the 1918 Broken Sword Peace dollar

1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
04/06/2021 11:48 am
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only one. Bought in 2010 from DC website and I think it was around $165.00 shipped. Sent this off to ANACS in 2018 and it came back MS69.
Only bought it at the time because I was seeing them re-sold on eBay for almost $300 and they still get that much. Post when I bought it.
http://goccf.com/t/75251&whichpage=4#606824
Was going to flip it, but when I had it in hand I guess I wanted to keep it. The only other that ever really interested me was a 1964 D Franklin to go with it but the 1964 D Peace dollar actually did exist at one time. I wish the Franklin did too and wish it was still being used.

1964 D Peace dollar
Daniel Carr
Die pair 6 High-Grade Finish

Produced October, 2010.
Obverse die carried over from Die Pair 5. New reverse die shows a die gouge to the right of "D" mint mark. Obverse continues high-luster stain finish. Reverse is an earlier die state and the appearance ranges from somewhat matte to shiny. The reverse die was periodically sandblasted during production runs. Rims on both sides are broader and somewhat flatter than previous over-strikes. Five coins had the rims rolled as a test prior to striking. The difference in appearance is minimal. Bag-handled coins were issued with certificates stating "Die Pair 6, Bulk-Handling Finish". High-grade coins were issued with certificates stating "Die Pair 6, High-Grade Finish".
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
04/06/2021 12:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any reason why Daniel Carr stopped making the 1964-D Peace dollars? I wouldn't mind having the proof version.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, his 1964-D Peace dollar is borderline-legal because "In 1965, amid much controversy, the Denver mint struck over 316,000 Peace dollars dated 1964, but these were never issued, and all are believed to have been melted." [Wikipedia]. If it is ever shown that just one US Minted 1964-D Peace dollar survived, the Carr over-strikes would go from fantasy to counterfeit.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pieces,
I got this off Ebay.2019d Apollo astronaut concept dollar over strike on a 40% silver half dollar.

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got this off Ebay.2019d Apollo astronaut concept dollar over strike on a 40% silver half dollar.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is not a fantasy 2001s New York Statehood Quarter.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7787 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carr's Double Eagle fantasy piece is certainly attractive! There's no doubt he is a talented artist and token/medal creator.

A few years ago, John Mercanti was commissioned to create a medal from St. Gaudens' original sketches for the Double Eagle. I'll dig mine out and post images for comparison.

In the meantime...

I've posted these before, but they seem at home in a thread such as this.

For a nice discussion of these specific overstrike fantasy pieces, have a look at: 1975 Daniel Carr Bicentennial Fantasies

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well played!

Quote:
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

And one of the better designs in the series.

Quote:

I've always admired these.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3936 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of those New York quarters too.
#07072 of both P and D mints.

I have lots of other Daniel Carr pieces, but they are for another coin forum, so not sure if I am allowed to post them here.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice everyone!
There were no proof ASEs in 2009 let alone a DC mint mark.

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 144 / Views: 10,566Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: