Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Trillion Dollar Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 862Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1760 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  4:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Below is an article that discusses the possibility of minting a new trillion dollar coin in order to stave off the debt ceiling increase deadline. While this isn't a commemorative, I'm sure it would qualify as a non-circulating coin.

https://www.axios.com/trillion-doll...1d181de.html

The most interesting part of the article to me is the quote by former Mint Director Diehl where he says "Voila, we'd have bought ourselves the equivalent of a trillion-dollar increase in the debt limit, without any impact on inflation," If there's not risk to inflation, why not just mint 29 of the coins and wipe out the entire national debt in one fell swoop?

Edited by Bret
10/05/2021 5:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
106647 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this in my news feed today. I hesitated to bring it up because of the weird grey area bridging the political and numismatic aspects. That being said, to all, please avoid the specific politics when discussing this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible to think they would transport one trillion dollars by helicopter to a vault. However I can't imagine it being any sort of target for theft because of the perpetual impossibility of redemption. Still don't understand the claim this would have no effect on inflation..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12064 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that increasing the money supply causes inflation. How would this be any different?
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this for real? I am not familiar with "Axios" website. Platinum, eh? Even the US Gov't can't afford palladium!
Edited by Corbe
10/05/2021 5:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1731 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a gimmick. Might as well take a piece of plastic and print "trillion" on it.
Or better yet, seize the FED and simply print the money you want. Why the complicated hooplah.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5969 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice road rash candidate.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6782 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A re-hash of an idea floated in 2010-2011 when the US Congress was also wrestling with debt ceiling issues.

What goes around, comes around...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As commems mentioned, this same idea has come up before in a similar situation. Lots of question on the legality or constitutionality of trying such a thing, even if it could possibly be less damaging to the economy than defaulting. I would fully expect the debt ceiling will ultimately be raised which would make this all moot, but only time will tell.
Learn More...
Australia
13931 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And all the talk about "coins" is because the whole point is seeking a way to create extra money without needing to go through Congress.

They can't print a trillion dollar Federal Reserve Note. Section 16.8 of the Federal Reserve Act restricts the possible denominations the Fed is allowed to issue. And $10000 is the highest denomination currently allowed under the Act. They'd need to print 100 million $10000 notes, which might take a while - the BEP can only print 10 million notes per day.

They can't print a trillion dollar United States Note either, as the total face value of such notes is likewise capped by Congress at $346,681,016 - way under the trillion dollar target, even if all other United States Notes suddenly ceased to exist.

Nor can they set up any other authority to issue a trillion dollar banknote without Congressional approval.

Congress normally needs to approve new coinage designs too. But there is one exception: platinum coins, which have been given specific exemption from requirement for Congressional approval of denomination and design. 31 US Code 5112, paragraph (k).

So, with the Secretary of the Treasury's approval, the Mint can indeed lawfully strike trillion dollar coins, on demand, with minimal delay and zero requirement for Congressional approval. The only qualifier is that any such coins must be made of platinum.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1760 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, thanks for the additional information. That was very educational.

The one thing that's missing with this idea is who would supply the money to buy the coin. The mint doesn't just manufacture coins and throw them out in the economy. As I understand the way it typically works, a bank pays money to the mint and in return receives that same amount back in coinage. So the bank will end up with just as much as they sent but just in a different form of money. Meanwhile, the mint's profit is the amount of money that they received from the bank minus the cost to produce the coinage. In the case of the trillion dollar coin, who would pay the trillion dollars to the mint?
Edited by Bret
10/05/2021 10:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the case of the trillion dollar coin, who would pay the trillion dollars to the mint?

The platinum $1T coin itself is only $1545, but the overnight shipping will be $999,999,998,455.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is just stupid on so many levels.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2629 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and brilliant in a couple.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19267 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could write
'One Trillion Dollars' on a sheet of toilet paper.
I am sure that is someone out there would be able to use it.

Probably already happened with Zimbabwean One Trillion Dollar Notes.

Perhaps a more rational suggestion:
For silver stackers, a One Trillion Dollar coin could be produced as a silver round.
Learn More...
United States
106647 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The platinum $1T coin itself is only $1545, but the overnight shipping will be $999,999,998,455.

Quote:
The one thing that's missing with this idea is who would supply the money to buy the coin...
No one has to buy it. The USA mints the coin and deposits it in the FED bank and the USA account balance is instantly $1 Trillion higher. It is really that simple.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 862Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: