Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Rest Of My Dollar Bin Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 348Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2105 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  1:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1900 is fairly scratched up, I also think it's possible some were copper polished but idk for sure

There is an 1899 British penny as well but as it's not Canadian didn't feel it belonged here. It fairly worn and I don't know much about British coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2105 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So for 1$ each should I go back and get more of these?
Valued Member
Canada
58 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would personally stay away from damaged (specifically post mint damage) or cleaned coins.

I started collecting a few years ago and was, at first, eager to buy the most coins that I could for the cheapest price possible. I soon realized, with the help of a number of well respected numismatists, that it's often better to go for quality over quantity.

A good quality coin will also often be a better investment in the long run.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2105 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see these same coins sell for more on ebay, mayb not damaged like the 1900 though, so if I can fill all my slots for pennies I'd be happy if it's only 1$ per coin then I can focus on upgrades.

Edit: I prefer to stay away from super risky investments. Untill recently every coin I have aquired was for face value, so spending a bit above silver value I can deal with atm but spending 500$ or even 100$ for a 1 cent coin is well out of the question. Silver at least has a melt value that is fairly stable but if I have 500+ spare cash it goes into my son's rssp for college or university.

So if I spend a dollar on a 1 coins and it might be worth 2$ 20 years from now, it's a good investment and I now have something I didn't before and didn't have to spend a lot.

I'm not even close to being able to judge weather or not an expensive coin is worth it or not.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/25/2021 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are just buying one per year, and if you consider them as strictly space fillers, this seems quite reasonable. Your total expenditure is no more than taking the family out to a restaurant or movie. I would prefer a Victoria or Edward with some modest problems but otherwise VF, rather than a problem free coin in G or VG which is all you would get for $1. I would not get more than one example per year in those conditions. For George V, be fussier, with no cleaning and a minimum of green. Just don't look at it as an investment. Years down the road, if you are still interested and can afford it, I would guarantee that you would want to replace them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2105 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to fill several sets at once, and to me spending 200$ on 18$ or less of silver does sit well with me lol, but getting a 50 piece that's valued above melt in g8 shape for melt value or twice melt is acceptable. I'm not sure the coins I got on ebay but I'm sure I did better with them then the 1$ bin. If this location had better deals on there silver coins or if I had more time I may have picked out something really nice, I was in a rush so grabbed a small handful from the 1$ bin. Most of the coins I grabbed I think are worth more then that, at least if I ever sold them. So 1$ mayb sell it for 2$ when I have a full set and start upgrading. Seems like a win win, if it dosnt sell when I decide to upgrade the. I lost 1$ lol better then loosing 50+ on a purchase.

As for large cents I'm willing to pay more then 1$ for a really nice example but didn't get a change to look at there 1 that they had separated from the 1$ bin. If these coins I posted are worth 1$ or around that each then I'm happy for now with my purchase, this specific shop had many overpriced coins but I'm not good enough at judging grade or if it was cleaned etc. To be a good judge at buying expensive coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: