Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 Morgan Silver Trade Dollar DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 569Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'm wondering if this is machine doubled or an actual doubled die coin?

Thank you,
Nancy

Edited by nancylou
12/02/2021 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantasy coin or outright counterfeit?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17199 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What the heck ! That's not even a coin . Some kind of fantasy piece . Lets see the other side .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go..more pics added
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tenring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird. Morgan dollars and Trade dollars were two different issues, and neither were minted in 1985.

My apologies to the OP if this is obvious knowledge to her/him.
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tenring..nope I am just learning.

So what are you saying?
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tenring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is not a U.S. Mint coin. Looks like it is a "silver round" - bullion piece. With that, I would want to verify it and not assume.

Morgan dollars were issued 1878-1904, and in 1921. Oh, and just issued 2021.

Trade dollars were issued from 1873-1885.

Hope that helps!
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ookay thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting silver bullion round. They need to be careful the US gov doesn't charge them with counterfeiting. They get twitchy when it is close.

It does look like it has Mechanical Doubling. So the press they used to make the bullion piece was a bit loose.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7463 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you able to weigh this on a digital scale to two decimal points? Given the abundance of Chinese counterfeit coins in the marketplace, It wouldn't surprise me if this isn't plated over a cheap base metal. It may be silver though. Weight and a specific gravity test should confirm the composition.
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really?!! That is very interesting. I thought there was one on eBay before but this was just in with old coins Athar I've had for many years. It weighs 31.21g . If that helps. Its definitely silver..at least on the outside but who knows if it's coated or something? It was in circulation so I just assumed it was a regular silver piece.
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nancylou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to send this to be graded..would they or can they if it's not a real coin? But then why bother, who would want it.
So then what do I do with this thing? Shelf it again I guess.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57428 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as fake as my Lincoln Dime:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight seems to be correct for a silver bullion round which this likely is. Not worth slabbing even if it is genuine. Only worth bullion spot price (less than $30). Might just be the light source of your pictures but there appears to be some copper showing on the rim and the surface. If that is the case it would be a plated junk coin. You were able to weigh it with a digital scale so why not do a specific gravity test? That will tell you if it is silver or perhaps a copper core. Silver should come in with a reading of around 10.33. Readings in the 9. something would be closer to copper.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: