Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ever Seen A 1921 Alabama Silver Half Dollar Double Die Reverse? Is This One?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 359Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does a 1921 Alabama Commemorative DDR exist? Or is this something else?

Thanks.

Edited by CoinGreen
12/03/2021 2:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7059 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intriguing. Please post images of the full obverse and reverse sides of the coin. Thanks!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6781 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Until new, large and sharp photos arrive, I'm leaning toward Machine Doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64386 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing MD as well. @commems will know.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
12/03/2021 09:05 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more photos

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thanks so much for the info so far!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7059 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional images.

Based on the full images, I would say the coin appears to be a genuine piece with a bit of wear and rim damage. Is its weight correct? (12.5 grams)

From the images provided, my eyes see flat, shelf-like doubling which is indicative of strike / Mechanical Doubling vs. a doubled die scenario.

Check out the following article for a good discussion of the differences:

- NGC - Doubled Dies vs. Machine Doubling

Further, it seems unlikely (but not impossible!) that a coin with such extensive doubling would go unnoticed for 100 years if it was related to die doubling which would produce multiple examples and be sought after by collectors vs. the potential one-off doubling seen with strike / Mechanical Doubling which typically generates little interest.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42816 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like MD to me also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11425 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! Cool coin and great photogrpahy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13252 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Mechanical Doubling
Also it is a silver half dollar, not a silver dollar.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all! I don't have a scale that weighs to a tenth precision, but it appears to be the correct weight based on the scale I do have.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7454 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I believe your DDO questions on this coin have been addressed by our experts - so I compliment your overall coin photography, both full coin and detail photos.

They are of outstanding quality with in focus enough images showing what needs to be seen.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: