Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Favorite Coin With An Antarctic Theme.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 889Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  08:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've always wanted to get a coin incorporating an Antarctic theme but just one. What are peoples favorite?

Edited as per Kanga's insight.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
12/05/2021 09:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5538 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be VERY surprised if there were coins "from" Antarctica.
But I'm sure there are any number of countries that issued coins with an Antarctica theme.

I should say there were no coins "from" Antarctica before 1969 that I am aware of.
I was there (at Pole Station) from November 1968 through about mid-February 1969.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me change that then to "favorite coin with an Antarctic theme".

Quote:
I was there (at Pole Station) from November 1968 through about mid-February 1969.

That is incredible. I'm sure you've got stories to tell about that experience.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
12/05/2021 09:31 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have a few medals but no coins.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1073 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be some coins, at least from British Antarctic Territory: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/br...itory-1.html

Not minted in Antarctica, though ...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7808 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...a coin incorporating an Antarctic theme but just one.

My choice would be the 2020 50 Pence coin that commemorates the 220th Anniversary of the birth of British explorer James Clark Ross; the coin is issued under the authority of the British Antarctic Territory.

Why?

1. The Subject: Ross is forever prominently linked to Antarctica. His role in its early history has led to multiple features on the continent being named after him (i.e., the Ross Ice Shelf).

2. The Coin's Design: The coin depicts Ross' sailing ship, the HMS Erebus, the ship he commanded during his Antarctic Expeditions. I'm a "softie" for coins with well-executed sailing ship designs - IMO, this is one!

If I had to select just one...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3939 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've long decided that when it comes to outlying and possibly uninhabited territories I would prefer a coin type that actually refers to something relevant to the area's history, and consequently looks like a commemorative coin that could have actually been made even if the area was in fact inhabited.

I like the choice of the Erebus 50 pence for British Antarctic Territory, though with those mintages (just 2750) it's far from the most available. I wanted a coin about one of the expeditions, but couldn't find them, so compromised on the one with the sperm whale.
For South Georgia, however, I managed to get the coin celebrating the Grytviken church centenary (the photos on Numista are mine), which I decided was about the closest it got to local color in this far-off (mostly) uninhabited territory.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20745 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2013 Canada.
25 cents Elizabeth II Canadian Arctic Expedition

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3936 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong pole Dorado.
Nice coin though.

2020 2 Euros from Estonia.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
12/07/2021 07:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20745 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wrong pole Dorado.

You are right!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6013 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have one form British Antarctica Territories

Learn More...
United States
113674 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong pole Dorado.

You are right!

Oops!

Nice examples!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20745 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oops!

Sometimes it happens! ...
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10557 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may be cheating, but here's an elongated British penny showing the polar exploration ship 'Discovery', which is now permanently moored on the River Tay at Dundee:

'Discovery' took Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first voyage to Antarctica. She was also used by the British Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition in the 1920s and 1930s.
Learn More...
United States
113674 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometimes it happens!
Meanwhile...

Quote:
This may be cheating, but here's an elongated British penny showing the polar exploration ship 'Discovery', which is now permanently moored on the River Tay at Dundee:
I like it!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1184 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have a soft spot for commemorative crowns though I don't own this Falkland Islands specimen (yet).
Edited by David Graham
12/07/2021 9:38 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 889Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: