Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jewelers Loupe Recommendations

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,932Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  10:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone please recommend a decent Jewelers loupe, preferably from Amazon, that isn't plastic, doesn't have an LED Light, and is made of metal? I bought one off eBay recently and it WA so bad I had to send it back. Please help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by CentSation
12/27/2021 11:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hasting's triplet is the best for the price. 10x or 12x or 14x,nothing more than 14x.A doublet is good to and cheaper.B & L is a good brand.I use a no brand 14x doublet 90% of the time and a B & L 14x triplet when I need a better view.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
12/28/2021 06:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74977 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree the Hastings triplet is ideal. For most work I just use a B&L 7X.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a Belomo 10x Triplet sits on my desk. $35 at Amazon.
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question, is 10x adequate for a serious collector? I think I knoweth answer, but honestly, the belomo loupe seems to be the best quality, and most affordable one I can find. I'd just like to hear what you guys think and then I'll order. Thanks so much!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2021  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10x is adequate if you have good eyesight. My sight not so good I use a 14x. Never go higher than that, it produces a blurry image. I used a 12x for a long time, but when I started the hobby in 1971, I did use a 10x.I prefer a B&L better than a Belomo.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 10X should be fine for general use.
Just understand that the higher the magnification, the closer you must be to the coin [which cuts down on the light reaching its surface]. A 10X has a focal distance of about an inch.
Edited by CentSation
12/30/2021 12:31 am
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank you all for helping me here, Centsation, Coinfrog, John1, The_Duke, I decided on the Belomo, and have placed an order! It seems like a very good quality loupe. I'll Come back and post a small review when I get it. You guys are great!
Edited by DouglasFir
12/30/2021 12:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Been using mine for years -- I think you'll like it. Can't wait to hear back.

I let my local coin dealer use it one day when I was in his shop and he was impressed with it, also.
Edited by CentSation
12/30/2021 01:31 am
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two cheap Harris 10x that I use most of the time. I got the second one at a coin show after I left the other at home. They do well enough for what I need even without my glasses on. As my eyes get worse with age, I may have to invest in some better versions to compensate my vision.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cyclopedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Belomo 10x and it's great. Would like something of similar quality in the range of 4x to 6x for around the same price point. Any suggestions? I can't find anything by Belomo.
Edited by cyclopedia
01/08/2022 9:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. B&L = Bausch & Lomb. Check eBay.
John1
Edited by John1
01/09/2022 11:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9184 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little copy pasta from an older thread:

My personal favorite is the 7x Bausch & Lomb APO triplet, but yes for certain uses, mainly variety hunting, a 15-20 power can help tremendously. I like the 7x as it's size allows for me to see most of the entirety of the coin and I never need any more than 7x for grading, I most often only use it for coins I'm on the edge about being AU or UNC, and for RPDs and DDOs/DDRs.

If I was roll searching, I'd get one of the larger magnifier lamps at an office supply store, the ones that clamp to a desk top and have an articulated arm for adjustment. Much easier to do the initial sorting, then move to a good halogen/LED lamp with pin spot lighting and a more powerful loupe on the suspected coins you are hunting. Being comfortable is half the battle in optical viewing, whether magnifying or telescoping (my other hobby). A saying in astronomy is a comfortable chair can add several magnitude of light gathering, I have found this to be true, reduce eye and back strain, you'll enjoy it more and see more.

You can always use the search button towards the top, put in loupe or magnifying and scroll to the general forum or supplies forum there will be many, many threads on this.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These also work well. Very maneuverable and you can get various lens magnifications - Mine are 5X.

Edited by CentSation
01/09/2022 1:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,932Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: