Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Severus Alexander Denarius From Antioch.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 365Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2561 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  5:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a recent pick up....The obverse portrayal of Severus Alexander really appealed!
Thought I'd share as it really shows how portraits differed from the Eastern Mints in comparison to the more readily accepted depictions of Rome....
Severus Alexander. 222-235 AD. AR Denarius (3.12 gm, 20mm). Antioch mint. Struck 222 AD.
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate and draped bust right.
Rev.: P M TR P COS P P, Fortuna standing left holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae; star in left field. RIC 267. gVF.

When you place a Rome mint coin alongside...

The op coin was obviously minted after March 222 so maybe there is some knock over from his predecessor Elagabalus but looking at Elagabalus' coins from 221 there is certainly a difference...Thoughts appreciated.....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
6277 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting contrast, Paul. And, yes, very Elagabalus-like.

It's interesting how far removed some emperors' portraits on Provincial coins are from the likenesses produced by Rome mint engravers who, presumably, had opportunities to directly observe the emperors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, what a beautiful example. I love that you can get these coins at a high grade and reasonable price. In any case, this made me move on attributing an Severus Alexander coin that has been sitting for awhile.

Severus Alexander Denarius. 230 AD. IMP SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate head right / VIRTVS AVG, Alexander walking left, stepping on helmet, holding globe and reversed spear.

Quote:
... maybe there is some knock over from his predecessor
Yes seems to be the case in many instances. I have an early Vitellius (bottom pic)with an obvious likeness to Otho. I haven't been able to score an Otho coin in my price range yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6117 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful example Paul!

Agreed that it is very Elagabalus-like, but they were cousins after all!

I do love these early reign Severus Alexander issues - it is fun to build a little set and watch him grow up!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
756 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have been picking up some seriously nice coins recently, Paul. This is another lovely example.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1873 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice example of the eastern output in a very distinctive style.

The eastern mint (Antioch? which is another conversation) seems to have a wide range of styles or skill in the engravers.

If I look at the following two coins I think the portraits are quite close in style

yet others are more distinctly Severus Alexander to my eye

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2561 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyones input...

Quote:
It's interesting how far removed some emperors' portraits on Provincial coins are from the likenesses produced by Rome mint engravers who, presumably, had opportunities to directly observe the emperors.
....Yes very true Bob, the Eastern mints worked on another plain, maybe purely from cast busts and verbal descriptions?

Quote:
it is fun to build a little set and watch him grow up!
...Yep something I'm working on as there is a definite ageing through the years...

Quote:
I love that you can get these coins at a high grade and reasonable price.
...Yes this Emperor's coins can be had at very good prices with excellent detail....Your example is really nice! And also agree that the portraits of a new ruler, especially in Eastern mints, can be very similar in aspect in his intial year of reign.

Quote:
This is another lovely example
..Thanks Jim, I fell for the portrait the second I saw it...

Quote:
Antioch? which is another conversation
...Yes thanks Martin I've been reading a little bit about 'which Antioch'?
I'm still not clear, can you suggest a link or a recent reference that maybe clarifies it a bit more?..btw nice coins!....
Paul
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: